Rivalry

Side Note: This is the flag of the Weimar Republic and not Germany. 

I didn't know what is happening with my father, German Empire, but I have a sneaking suspicion that something was brewing amongst the Imperial states. Usually, when Empires get involved, things start to escalate very quickly. But I didn't have the time to shake any information out of Father or Grandfather because my hands were so full to begin with. Not only did I attend weekly audit meetings with the other republics, but I was a speechwriter and full-time caretaker without parental leave, too. There was simply not enough time for me to think about anything. 

Today was not an exception. After being the first one to scurry down the marble stairs to the parking lot, I veered onto a side street to shortcut to the downtown area. I thought that passing a red light (by accident) and speeding up on three yellow lights on a side street I'd make it on time. Nevertheless, I saw my brother leaning against the brick wall building, checking his watch and the road methodically. He rolled his eyes when he spotted my lemon-yellow car meet him on the sidewalk.

"About time," he sighed, slamming the door. 

"Listen, I came out of my meeting five minutes early," I snapped back. 

"I thought you were punctual," 

"I am," I growled. "I'm punctual, but not superhuman. There's a three-minute gap between the adjournment of our meetings. It's practically impossible to get on the main streets at this hour."

He remained silent, looking out the window. 

"But I got to you much earlier than usual," I said softly. "Doesn't that count?" 

"I guess," he frowned. "But if you plan on being terminally late, I'd much rather stay inside, where nobody behaves like I'm a ballistic missile. I have a phone, too." 

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure? You won't complain that I left you for too long?" 

He waved me off. "I'll be fine." On the surface, our interaction was always fine. But I knew, by the stares, whispers, jeers, and confidential documents, nothing concerning my brother was even remotely fine. After being let off from prison, his whole family had to pledge by several rules that were sworn to uphold. Though deceivingly simple, the rules had proven to be austere and difficult for us to manage. Although the seizing of his voting and speech rights were righteous, the others along the line were increasingly harsher. Beginning with that Third Reich was banned permanently from political institutions and public forums of any kind, he was also forbidden to use public transportation and be broadcasted on media. He had to be accompanied in any public or private area and was only lifted from this veto was in his designated home. The rules rattled on and on, but at that point, it was clear: my brother sank lower than a five-year-old child and could do nothing to show for it. All he did was take up space. 

But that didn't mean he lost the will to live. On the contrary, he reminded everyone that he was still alive. All he lost was responsibility, and that meant Germany. Miraculously his parental rights were spared and under his control. Unfortunately, he didn't exercise them often and behaved like his elder brother. It was then that I realised who was the only person who suffered under these rules. And it wasn't Third Reich. 

"Can you turn on the heat?" he complained. "and watch the road, too? That would be nice." I snapped out of my daze before we crashed into a lamppost. "Are you tired?"

"No," I gripped the wheel harder. "We have to pick up Germany from school."

"You seem tired," he noted. "If I were you, I'd just let Germany take the metro. It isn't far. He's not eight anymore."