Storm

I laughed freely in the stairwell as I shut the door of my flat. My father's enraged face shone in my memory, and I relished the moment. Now I was in control of what happened in my family. 

I was already driving to my therapy session, grinding my teeth and thinking of how I should portray myself today. For the last two sessions I became almost apathetic, pretending that I had a stressful work life and didn't care about what my peers had to say. It was difficult to manage when Hungary pushed for every word, but I persevered. 

Today I was mentally detached from the rest of the crowd and even endured the sneering remarks of a certain convict next to me. 

"Why are you so quiet?" he hissed malevolently, obviously in a foul mood. "divorced your tenth wife and have to pay alimony?" 

I vaguely though of retorting, but I was more preoccupied with what was going on at home rather than baiting for Third Reich's commentary. Not being able to get his desired reaction he went on to beg Hungary for candy. 

----

After the torturous hour, I was back in the car and on my way back home on the parkway when I remembered that India wanted to meet me at four in the afternoon. Hailing the next exit, I made a sharp U-turn, and barelled down a busy street. I was oblivious to the yelling and derogatory terms thrown at me. I was thinking of how embarrassing it would be to be late.  

Hibiscus park was a patch of greenery in the middle of a teeming metropolis, and between the trees, you could glimpse the bright colours of the city. It was equipped with a fountain, benches, gardens, and ivy tendrils, birds and statues. When you look up you can see the trees and sky, but the skyscrapers press around the edges of your vision, blocking the pristine view. Hibiscus park was beautiful on the superficial level, but felt like a glass terrarium. 

When I parked my car in an underground lot, I looked in the rear-view mirror and hastily tried to make myself more presentable. It was in horror that I realised that my shirt had a small chalk stain, and I had to change it. Finally, I stowed my hat inter the seat. I looked nothing like myself. But it was better than nothing. 

Feeling very nervous and very unprepared, I walked to the park. Many people around were walking leisurely, staring at me. I didn't understand how I stood out, until I noticed that all of them were either in pairs or groups; I was alone. Self-consciously, I tried to walk as if I had a purpose. In less than a minute, India arrived in a floaty navy blue dress that swished as she walked.  I liked the lapis bracelets and the blue glass beads strung through her hair. 

"Hello," she said. 

"Hi," I managed, trying to speak normally, blinking away the lights in my vision. "good day?" 

"Yes, very nice," she nodded. I understood that she was tense as well. Clearly her invitation was a rash impulse, and she hadn't thought clearly what we were going to do or discuss. 

"Should we have a stroll, then?" I suggested. 

"Oh, yes...yes, that would be great," she smiled. I instinctively offered her my hand, but then pulled away just as fast. She seemed not to have noticed. 

It became easier to talk as we went on, and once she genuinely laughed at my comment. 

We first talked about work, and easily established rapport. It was not challenging to move from topic to topic, but soon we cycled to personal subjects. 

"Well...how is your family?" she asked.

"Ah, fine," I replied airily. "the usual."

"It must be hard to balance out so many things," she looked up at the sky, the trees, and the claustrophobic press of the city. I stared at the hem of her dress. "the children, work...your therapy thing..."