Secret

It was one of those days when everything crawled under my skin and irritated me. My respect and patience with my father were rapidly deteriorating. His grand schemes seemed made of tissue paper, and the more he talked about them, the more it seemed the best place for him was a mental hospital. That did not mean he wasn't sharp.

"German Empire!" he snapped at me one day. "whatever are you doing?"

"Nothing," I said through gritted teeth. "I may do whatever I wish. I believe I am old enough."

"You don't actually become an adult until your parents die," he strode up to me. "that means you are still a child, under my control."

"That is a bit of a stretch," I pointed out. "You really didn't help me when the Great War started."

"Yes I did," he said. "I told you to ally with your brother."

"Who's probably more childish that anyone I've met!"

"Not my point, German Empire," he continued. "My point is, this world is being run by children. Can't you imagine how scary that is? Doesn't that terrify you?"

"No...?" 

"It definitely scares me," he noted. "come to think of it, that is even more evidence that Empires must act. But don't worry; my plan is finally back on its rails."

"You've gotten it back on track, you mean," 

"Precisely,"

"Who's helping you?" I asked. "when are you going to do it? How are you going to do it?"

My father cut me off. "That information - my dear son - is classified for you. I can't have all my plans be crushed to dust."

A sort of panic-anxiety mix welled inside. "Vater," I started. "This isn't the Franco-Prussian War. You might lose."

"But it is!" his voice took on a glassy and clear quality that was frightening to hear. Like a patch of his former self. "Don't you think I remember the Napoleonic Wars? I'll never forget Auerstadt and Jena. I'll make sure that this time when we win - we will win - I'll put myself in power. Not directly of course. That is too much risk. I need a figurehead, a shield." 

I took a step back. "I won't do it for you, Father. Neither will Weimar or Drittes or Germany. Nor will any other member of our family."

He smirked. "I don't need you or them. Who says any of you will cooperate?"

"Then who will?" I dared ask. 

"That silly Russian Empire!" he announced. "He'll do anything for a stitch of real power. It'll be easier than buying bread. He's stupid enough to fall for my offer. I need a flashy jewel on my crown, not a thinker who will argue. You're too weak, Germany's too young, no republic will do."

"But he won't do it for you!" I exclaimed. 

"Who says he won't?" He examined his nails. "Russian Empire isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer."

This time I decided to keep control. "Fine. I'll go now, then."

"Be back before midnight, or I send a search party," he stood up and left. "Tomorrow, I'll give Russian Empire the offer."

As soon as he turned away, I dashed madly down the hall and out the doors. However I hated Russian Empire, I couldn't let Father's plan hatch. I raced down into the garage and picked out the car that would look the most intimidating and imposing. 

"Go straight to Russian Empire's palace," I ordered the chauffeur. 

He seemed hesitant. "He might not answer the door. It is getting late."