Overturn

A new stage in the game, I told myself. It took me long enough to figure out who the real power player was. Father was cunning in that sense - he could manipulate his way slowly, without attracting much attention. Tomorrow, I vowed, things would overturn. 

The night was quiet, much more serene than in my own castle, where doors and floors creaked at the slightest pressure. Sounds were softer and muffled, and it was much darker, even without the heavy curtains. It was only at midnight that I jolted awake at the haunting of my father's words. 

"I will send a search party by midnight," 

I decided to ignore the voice, praying that my father wouldn't act on his words. And then again, he would never dream of finding me here. It would be too far, too unpredictable, too costly. I sincerely hoped that he would calculate the costs. I could be at Weimar's apartment. Still, it took me much time to fall into a light and restless sleep. 

"Hey," a firm hand was shaking my shoulder. "wake up."

"Huh?" I groaned, blinking in the bright light. Russian Empire was standing over me, already fully dressed but still shaking slightly. 

"Your father sent me a message," he said. "he will arrive in twenty minutes. I suggest you dress and figure out where you want to spy."

I turned over. "Fine. I'll get up." He backed out quickly, shutting the door behind him. In five minutes, I washed and dressed, and let Russian Empire show me the hatchet. 

He deftly unpinned the swinging door. "I don't know how you'll fit in there," he said uncertainly. "are you sure you don't want to try the corner?"

"No," I said firmly. "it's wide enough. I'm not afraid to risk for a greater cause." He watched me heave into the vent. 

"Don't die in there," he called. "It'll be too much trouble to get you out."

I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything. Indeed, the vent was not good transport, and I was sure that I was making a cacophony. But soon enough, I saw the shaft of light indicating the hole was near. I made it in the nick of time, as I spotted Russian Empire flick his eyes up to me and open the door, letting my father, Prussia, into the hall. Father was wearing a thick black woollen cloak with silver clasps and his great helm. He was uncharacteristically smiley and shook Russian Empire's hand. 

"Good morning Russian Empire," he said cheerfully. 

"Hello," the other took his hand, shook it once and then let go hastily. 

"I hope that I haven't disturbed you from your very important work," Father continued. "I know you're very busy." 

"Yes," He nodded, biting his lip. I wished that he had less of a tremor in his voice. 

"Maybe we can go somewhere more comfortable for you?" he suggested. "I hope you don't mind me saying, but you look dead on your feet."

Russian Empire glanced upward at me. I tried to shake my head no, but I didn't want to attract attention. He seemed to understand. "Er, but I'd like the talk to you here. It would be quicker." A note of stronger determination tinged his voice. 

Father pursed his lips but said nothing. "Alright. I just wanted to give you a proposition. " he tried to sweetly smile, but it didn't look good. His little teeth glittered in the light with gums creeping on them. Russian Empire seemed to catch my revulsion and stepped back a little more. 

"I am willing to hear you out," he said evenly. 

Prussia nodded. "Good. I am glad that you'd like to cooperate. I would like to offer you a stellar opportunity. How would you, very smart, charismatic, Russian Empire, like to rule the world?"