Denouement

Pacing could help in some instances. 

Sometimes, it was just a distraction from my worries. 

"Why can't you consult me before making alliances with others?" I demanded. "worst of all, Russian Empire's son?" 

Weimar looked down. "It's that...... he would know what to do," 

"And I don't?" 

"He has experience..."

"Experience in being a revolutionary? That is usually what I'd stay away from." I snapped. 

"USSR isn't exactly on the 'enemies' list," Weimar pointed out. "he might be able to get more information that is limited to you and me." 

I growled, kicking the wall in frustration. "And Russian Empire disappeared into thin air, just when I needed it." 

"It is strange," my son conceded. 

It was pre-dawn. The sun began to rise, slowly stretching its rosy fingers and bathing the cold forest below. A fog settled thickly over the scraggily bare branches, eerily silvery against the frost-bitten grass. Through the arched windows, sunlight peered in. 

Out of the blue, Weimar sighed.

"What?" I snapped again.

"Never mind about my idea. I think USSR won't help us," he looked outside. "He'll figure it's a trap."

I snorted. "A trap? It's the 20th century. We don't do traps like that anymore." I waved my hand. "We can buy him easily."

"Those Russians are very cautious. Suspicious of any type of bribe."

"How would you know? You've never tried to do it."

"I think that pride matters more to them. At least, it matters more to me." He said, folding his hands in his pockets.

"Whatever," I turned away, lost in thought. What I actually wanted to know was where was Russian Empire? After the overthrow, he completely disappeared. Spotlessly. I wouldn't even know ow where to start searching. Maybe the countryside? Tucked away in a bunker? Out at sea? Dead?

"Maybe...?" he started to say something when I cut him off. 

"Go away Weimar," I ordered him. "bring your negativity to someone else."

"But-,"

"Your incessant braying does nothing constructive," I said. "I'd much rather be in silence right now."

"But what about-,"

"Silence," I hissed. He snapped his jaw shut and looked at me. "don't you dare question my choices. You are my son and are to listen to me. Not the other way around."  

Looking hurt, Weimar nodded and stepped out of the room, leaving me finally alone. My thoughts ticked along with the clock in a repeated fashion. My frustration and fear stuck to me like a sticky web. I paced around, trying to stamp the thoughts out with the sound of my boots, but just like before, it failed to aid me. 

When the sun rose three-quarters of the way, I decided to go visit someone else I knew who might help me. Or at least consult me. Or talk to me.

My half-brother was far from the second-best choice to go to when needing advice. He'd much rather be by himself, listening to the drawl of his own voice, imagining his face gracing every media imaginable. He lived in dreamland and didn't like to be woken by reality. Especially in the form of me.

I called a car to drive to Austria-Hungary's vineyard villa, which was situated at the summit of a series of rolling hills. The scents of fresh wine and herbs were overpowering as the car drove smoothly through the gates of his lavish estate.