Baking For Two

It was a quiet day in the kingdom of Corona, not any adventures or life-threatening situations. Just a calm day to relax. Rapunzel could be found in the kitchen of the castle, walking around the room looking through cabinets and pantries. A sad face slowly emerged onto her face, probably because she couldn't find something.

Eugene emerged into the room and wore a smile of victory, holding a bag of white sugar in front of him.

"Looking for something?" He smirked as he shook the bag slightly. Rapunzel turned around and her face lit up. Running to Eugene, she quickly thanked him, placed a kiss on his cheek, and ran to the counter to place it down with other ingredients.

"What ya making?" Eugene went up behind Rapunzel and gave her a back hug, holding on relatively tight.

"I wanted to make some chocolate chip cookies to thank everyone in the castle," She turned her head to face Eugene and gently touched his nose that made it scrunch.

"Need an assistant?" He put his head on top of hers and hung onto her tighter, almost as if she said no he would still help.

"I don't see why not," She rolled her eyes playfully and shifted around the kitchen island to put all the ingredients in one area.

"Let's see... we have butter, flour, sea salt, chocolate chips, eggs, vanilla extract, baking soda and powder, brown sugar... and of course, white sugar," Rapunzel chuckled a bit under her breath.

"Right, what do we have to do first? You're the expert," Eugene looked around the kitchen and looked through a cabinet, searching for materials that might be needed.

"I'll need a bowl and a measuring cup, and get that oven preheated!" She giggled and stood proudly, as if she was really in charge of the kitchen.

Eugene could only laugh before preheating the oven, bringing the materials to the island shortly after. The two continued to bake the cookies, sometimes allowing kisses and hugs to come between their work. Once the cookies were finished, Rapunzel opened the oven to take them out before they became burnt. She took a while to even reach the oven because of Eugene holding onto her so tightly. The cookies smelt like heaven as Rapunzel would say, taking a small bite into one to see if it was good. She hummed a happy tune and gave Eugene the rest of the cookie for him to taste test himself. Once he gave them the taste pass, the two went out of their way to distribute the cookies amongst people in the castle.

The night was peaceful after a busy day of passing out chocolate chip cookies. Rapunzel and Eugene were in their room, giggling between bites of spare cookies. The atmosphere was comfortable, just the two staring at each other and almost falling in love again. After a few more giggles and bites, Rapunzel was soon yawning.

"Someone's tired," Eugene exchanged another giggle with Rapunzel, his eyes sparkling.

"A bit," She yawned once more and laid her head backwards onto a pillow. Her brown hair stuck up from the friction against the pillow, Eugene could only laugh and lean back with her. They both only glared at each other for a while, not exchanging any words. Just being in the presence of each other was enough for them.

"I love you, Rapunzel Fitzherbert," Eugene smiled softly at Rapunzel and held onto her hand. It was moments like this he never wanted to let go of.

"And I love you, Eugene Fitzherbert," Rapunzel grinned widely and pulled herself closer to Eugene, holding onto his waist.

The two held onto each other close, Eugene keeping his hands on Rapunzel's back and her hands on his waist. The two exchanged sweet nothings to each other that only left the other in chuckles. Soft kisses left Eugene and Rapunzel both in giggles, leaving smiles along with it. The two ended up falling asleep in each other's arms, allowing them to keep warm through the chilly night.

*676 words