Vacation for Two

Before you read, this writing is more an angst that turns into fluff soo...
you've been warned I guess

—————————————————————

The kingdom of Corona was as busy as ever on a bright, sunny day. The hustle and bustle of the castle could be heard by many, sparking interest of many of the townsfolk. Today was the day Rapunzel and Eugene were going to go on their vacation. The two had planned this trip for months now, having to work overtime several times in order to have this week to themselves. Yet, even with the hard conditions, they strived through and accomplished their goal. They were both busy packing their suitcases at the moment though, checking, double checking, and even triple checking to make sure they remembered everything. They didn't want anything to go wrong.

When the time came for them to leave the kingdom, Rapunzel hugged her parents before parting their ways. The two jumped into a carriage that was being pulled by Max and Fidella. Leaving the gates, Rapunzel waved to her parents from the window. She continued to wave until the figures disappeared into the distance.

Through a lot of books, naps, and conversations, the two had finally reached their destination. Rapunzel basically leaped out of the carriage, happy to finally stretch her legs. Eugene followed her actions and extended his body alongside her. Eugene was the first to enter their vacation home, a small house that laid near a beach. The area didn't seem to be very popular as only a few people were found in the sand and water. After giving the horses a snack and bringing them to the stable, Rapunzel headed towards the house herself. The first thing she seemed to notice was Eugene staring out the window that overlooked the beach. She headed over to the lonely looking figure and wrapped her hands around his arm. He looked down to spot the princess and smiled softly.

"What ya looking at?" Rapunzel looked out the window right as she asked. The only thing around seemed to be the beach and ocean so the question seemed a bit unneeded.

"Just checking out the view, they seem to have a beach."

"Aww... I didn't bring any swimwear," Rapunzel seemed upset about the idea of going to the beach with nothing beach-y to even wear.

"Don't worry, sunshine, I bet there's a store nearby," Eugene smiled at Rapunzel with tenderness. Rapunzel glanced up at him and returned his smile with her own. Eugene thought his heart skipped a beat.

The day was slowly slipping away from the two's grasp. Both of them had been doing mostly their own thing the whole day, despite the visit to the store for bathing suits. Eugene glanced out the window only to notice the darkness emerging from the sky. He headed over to the desk where Rapunzel was found scribbling in her journal. He planted a hand on her shoulder which caused her to jump a bit and look back at the man who stood before her.

"Maybe we should head out to the beach today before it gets too dark, there aren't many people there either now."

Rapunzel nodded and headed towards the bathroom to change. Once she was finished, Eugene quickly followed her to do the same. Meanwhile, Rapunzel grabbed a blanket and two drinks. She planted them into a picnic basket and tucked the drinks into the blanket. Once she was finished, Eugene stepped out of the room and stood at Rapunzel's side.

The two left the house soon after, holding hands tightly. When their destination was seen in the distance, Rapunzel was ready to bolt to the area. She began to run towards the place, totally forgetting about Eugene. He barely caught up with her but still made it. She immediately got the blanket and drinks out with a smile on her face. She couldn't wait.

Looking up at the sky, the couple watched the stars. Rapunzel was fixated on the stars more than Eugene however, maybe it was because she had charted stars when she was still stuck in the tower. The two did keep near each other though. Eugene put his hand around Rapunzel's waist while her head laid on his shoulder. The air was filled with silence. The only noises that could be heard were the sounds of their own breathing.

This silence was soon broken though. The sound of bantering grew louder and louder with each growing second. Eugene couldn't stand it. However, Rapunzel seemed to be interested in the loud conversations.

"I wonder what they're doing..." Rapunzel was now fixated on the idea of finding out. Yet, Eugene had other plans.

"I don't know and honestly don't care," he sighed at the idea of their time being ruined by a group of loud, ignorant people.

By the time Eugene looked back at Rapunzel, she wasn't to be seen. But she was seen walking towards the group of people. Alas, Eugene's newest worst fear is coming true.

In the end, Eugene ended up following Rapunzel. He didn't like it one bit though. He kept watch on Rapunzel as she talked with these loud strangers. She seemed to be having fun, so Eugene wasn't really looking to ruin it. Rapunzel kept discussing things with this one specific dude. Eugene could only sit back in anger though, watching the man's every move and listening to his every word. He kept nonchalantly trying to flirt with her, but Rapunzel seemed to not notice. It wasn't until the dude held onto Rapunzel's hand when Eugene had enough of the dude. He walked over to the two in a threatening way. He pulled the dude's hand away and whispered something in his ear. The man didn't seem to like whatever he had to say when his eyebrows narrowed down.

Rapunzel didn't enjoy the sight of people fighting. She decided to tap Eugene on the shoulder and asked him to follow her to a more private area to speak with him. Eugene agreed and let go of the man's hand and quickly ran after Rapunzel.

"What was that about!?" Rapunzel whisper-shouted her thoughts, trying to not concern the others around them.

"What do you mean? That dude was definitely trying to flirt with you!" Eugene followed along with her tone, not wanting to upset her anymore by screaming.

"I had it under control," She sighed deeply and looked at Eugene disappointingly. Eugene felt as if his heart had just been broken into a million pieces. He had just wanted to protect her and be with her. He didn't want any of this to happen. He looked down at his feet and almost sounded as if he was going to cry.

"I'm heading back to the house."

Eugene quickly headed back towards the blanket where the two sat before. He felt lonely seeing the blanket they were both on again. Because this time, there wasn't anyone with him. He packed up the blanket and drinks into the basket like Rapunzel had done. He stood up and looked behind him to spot the same group of people as loud as before. He couldn't spot make out the people's faces though. He only could hope that Rapunzel wasn't talking to the dude again.

Opening the door to the house after a long walk, Eugene walked into the dark room. He switched the light switch on to still believe it was as dark as it was even with the light on. He sat down on the couch, sitting down to immediately put his hands to his face. Tears escaped his eyes and sobs fell from his mouth, he didn't expect this trip to go wrong in the slightest.

Suddenly, without warning, a small pair of hands wraps Eugene and holds onto him tightly. Eugene raises his head and shifts it over to spot a mopey Rapunzel.

"I'm sorry, I should have listened to you, he really was just a big flirt," Rapunzel held on tighter to Eugene, not wanting him to run away.

Eugene didn't run though. He only hugged her back with sobs. Tears fell from his eyes as he held on. The two didn't exchange any words for a while. They only held onto each other, not showing any signs of letting go.

Finally, Eugene was the one to break the silence.

"I love you," his eyes sparked in a way Rapunzel had never even seen. His eyes looked lonely, trying to send the message of "don't leave me" to her.

"I love you too, I'm sorry again..." She smiled softly at him but guilt filled her eyes as her head dropped down. She felt awful about how she made him feel. She knew he was only looking out for her, but completely ignored his concerns.

Eugene noticed how sad she looked. He cupped her cheeks with his hands gently and raised them to where their faces now met.

"It's ok, you didn't know."

She chuckled and placed a kiss on Eugene's lips. Eugene returned the kiss with a smile on his face. His smile set off a chain reaction that resulted in the two giggling. After their kiss, the two pressed foreheads together and held onto each other's hands. Maybe this vacation was a good idea.

*1528 words