Life of Crime

The steady wind blew gently onto Rapunzel's short brown hair, leaving it to cover her view, but only a bit. Eugene and Rapunzel were out in the royal gardens, taking a stroll to watch the scenery. It was a beautiful day, the sun rose high with clouds that shifted in front of it frequently. Hand in hand, Rapunzel was interested in the wildlife surrounding her. She rarely had a chance to come to the area, but when she came, she never wished to leave.

Eugene's gaze shifted from the flowers to Rapunzel. Even in a place with the most beautiful things, she still shined the most. He would always spot her in any room first, whether it was back when he took her to the Snuggly Duckling for the first time or the day of their wedding. Sundrop or no sundrop, she still seemed to be able to radiate the sun's rays somehow.

"What ya looking at?" Rapunzel smirked as she noticed Eugene's constant stares.

"Just the most beautiful flower," Eugene slid a hand around Rapunzel's waist and pulled her close.

"Is that so?" She ruffled his hair and chuckled quietly. Eugene smiled softly in return to the noise.

"Yes, it is."

The two sat in their room at a small table, eating small snacks. Loving glances were exchanged throughout the quick meal, but no words. The only noises were sighs of awe that left each other breathless. They still couldn't believe they were actually married, or even that Eugene was alive at some points. One more sigh escaped Rapunzel before she broke the silence.

"Tell me about your criminal life."

"What?" A sudden expression of confusion swiped onto Eugene's face. Never had he thought a princess would ask him about his life full of crimes.

"You know, when you commited crimes..."

"Yes, I know what you're talking about but... why?"

"I just wanted to hear a story about your adventures as a criminal," Rapunzel smiled at Eugene and left him no choice but to do as she requested.

"I really shouldn't- there I was, stolen jewels in hands, running away from the scene of the crime," Rapunzel giggled at his sudden movements and enthusiasm. She could tell he had been secretly waiting for a moment to tell a story about his past career. "But, of course, Lance was there and it was in a tunnel. With spiders."

The story continued for an hour. Rapunzel asked questions during and after the story, and Eugene always had answers. Giggles left Eugene breathless. His breathlessness left Rapunzel in awe. Little observations of each other left the story on hold for a while and continued afterwards.

"Wait, wait, wait... so Lance really ran that fast just because of a tiny spider?"

"Yep, almost as fast as the speed of light. Almost," a laugh of Rapunzel made Eugene's heart explode. Even after they were married, swore their lives to each other, she still made him lose his sanity.

"What are you doing?" Rapunzel questioned as Eugene picked her up and swung her about the room.

"I love you," Eugene whispered into her ear as he placed her down.

"I love you too, Eugene."

A small peck on the lips made the two fall in love all over again. A more loving kiss reminded them of what happiness truly was. A touch of the hand made them realize they were all they really needed.

"Come on," She took him by the hand and led him out the room. "I wanna show you something."

Eugene only followed without responding. He trusted her.

A room of few items was the destination of choice. Many of the items just stood in place, seeming as if they didn't belong. Eugene almost related to pieces of furniture, definitely not something he would think of sharing a similar path with.

"Ta-da!" Rapunzel removed a cloth from a rectangular, flat shaped object. A painting slowly revealed itself, one with Eugene and Rapunzel standing near each other. Hands intertwined, loving glares, and caring figures were the first thing anyone would notice. But deep within, Eugene knew the painting was made of pure love.

"Sunshine, it's amazing."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

A tight hug ended the conversation. There was no need for words when the touch of each other shared enough, something more than words could show.

*726 words