Confide in Him

The calm night fell on the kingdom of Corona, leaving the subjects and even royals deep in slumber. All except Rapunzel. Rapunzel's thoughts kept racing her mind, preventing her mind from resting at ease. She could only move around in her bed, squirming while trying to get comfortable, however, failing miserably. She turned to find Eugene sound asleep, arms stretched out that only revealed how comfortable he ultimately was. She could only sigh at him, feeling jealous of how he could be sleeping. Hesitating a bit to make the decision, she decided to head over to the kitchen to get herself a glass of water. She could only hope it could help her clear her mind, even just a bit.

The halls were silent, maybe even a bit too silent. Something about it made the air feel lonely. Once she had reached the destination, she closed the door behind her silently. She then headed for the refrigerator, grabbing a bottle of water and turning the cap as silently as possible. Suddenly, she heard the sound of a door closing. Her heart dropped as she grabbed the nearest object besides her water which, of course, was a frying pan.

"This seems familiar," Eugene stood in front of the princess, seeming just like himself at this time of night.

"Geez, you scared me..." Rapunzel sighed in relief. She wasn't really looking forward to fighting anyone at the moment.

"I could say the same thing, I opened my eyes and didn't see you."

"Yeah... just wanted to get some water," she shook the bottle slightly, trying not to spill the water.

"You sure? You seem a bit out of it," Eugene smirked, but his expression seemed to emit a bit of sadness.

Rapunzel nodded while staring at the bottle she held. The water rocked inside the bottle, hitting the sides in a back and forth motion. However, this motion stopped when Eugene took a grip on the bottle himself and set it on the counter.

"You can tell me anything," a look of concern grew on his face. Eugene only wanted the best for her and she never wanted to make him worry.

"Well... something has been crossing my mind..." Rapunzel could only chuckle nervously while staring down at her feet. Yet, her head faced up when Eugene held onto her hands.

"I'm listening."

Rapunzel went on to rant about the current problems she was going through, most of them including princess duties. Eugene sat back, paying attention to her rant, wanting her to know he was listening. Her rant went on for what seemed like hours, yet was actually only a few minutes. At the end of this, Eugene hugged Rapunzel tightly. However, her arms only stood in place with only sobs filling the air.

"Thank you for telling me, and I promise, things will get better," Eugene only gripped her tighter. His voice sounded as if he himself was going to cry.

The two returned to their room together. This time, Rapunzel found the halls a little less lonely and a little more comforting. Maybe it was because Eugene was with her. Maybe it was because of her rant. Either way, she believed it was a little of both.

Back in the room, Eugene headed back to the bed in order to resume his beauty sleep. However, Rapunzel sat on a seat that rested near the biggest window in the room. She only stared out of the window, releasing sighs occasionally. Yet, this trend stopped when a pair of hands reached over her shoulders and held onto her.

"Let's head to bed," a voice whispered in her ear softly. She could only chuckle and do as the voice said.

Once again, Rapunzel couldn't fall asleep. The same thoughts kept crossing her, trying to think of solutions along with it. A sigh escaped her once more. However, almost immediately an arm landed on top of her. She looked over to spot Eugene fast asleep. She wasn't really sure if he was asleep though, but she wanted to believe he wasn't, only trying to distract her.

Maybe she could worry about these problems another day. Right now, it was time to go to sleep.

*701 words