But What If...

Rapunzel sat up in the bed, sweating and panting. A nightmare, one that felt so real too. Thoughts raced her brain and she just became more and more anxious. She had dreamt about Mother Gothel coming back to life, trying to bring Rapunzel back to the tower that stole 18 years of her life. Even though she knew the tower had been destroyed and Mother Gothel ceased to exist, she still had the occasional nightmare about the occasion. She also dreamed about Eugene. Stabbed, wounded Eugene. The one that died in her own arms. What if he was never brought back to life? What would her life be like right now? Her questions had no answers and were left to the side because of the man next to her. Eugene looked at the girl in panic and worry.

"Are you ok, sunshine?" His hand was placed on top of Rapunzel's. She flinched at the touch of their hands without even meaning to. The sudden touch sent a shiver down her spine.

"I'm fine, just a... bad dream," Rapunzel smiled nervously, which only left Eugene in more worry.

"Are you sure? If there's anything on your mind I'm here..."

Rapunzel nodded, her expression saying the opposite from her actions. She shaked a little before slipping herself back under the covers. Eugene only watched the girl in pure worry. He always wished and wanted the best for the girl. He grabbed onto her hand and held it tightly.

"I can tell something's wrong and I won't stop asking what it is. Trust me, I can be determined about these things." Eugene flashed a soft smile towards Rapunzel. Uncontrollably, the girl's eyes became cloudy. Tears dropped from her eyes and sobs escaped from her mouth.

"Shh... it's ok..." Eugene grabbed Rapunzel by the waist and pulled her close, positioning her head on his chest. Eugene's arms wrapped around the girl's body and held onto it tightly. The two held onto each other for a long time. The only sound that could be heard were the weeps of Rapunzel. Eventually, Rapunzel had calmed down and raised her head to face Eugene.

"I'm ready to talk," she chuckled nervously and sat up on top of the covers. Eugene eventually did the same. Rapunzel went on to discuss her nightmare, trying to not leave a single detail out. Eugene watched as she discussed this in pure fear. He told Rapunzel about he had been having similar nightmares, except he was just much better at hiding it. The two swore to tell eachother for now on when similar nightmares came up, for them to both overcome it together. The discussion ended with smiles on both of their faces and heartstruck glances. Eugene slid Rapunzel into his lap and winked at the princess, only leaving her in chuckles.

"I like it when you're like this much more," Eugene's eyes flickered between the girl's eyes and lips.

"I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one," Eugene thought his heart was about to explode as the girl pulled his lips onto hers. Gentle, slow kisses were exchanged between the two. Smiles crossed their faces that left each other in giggles. Hearts were left aflutter. No matter how many nightmares, no matter how many times life wanted to bring them down, they would always have each other's backs.

After a while, the two just held onto each other close. Eugene placed his cheek on Rapunzel's head, while she rested on his chest. Eugene had been kissing Rapunzel's palms for what seemed like hours. Rapunzel was just used to it at this point that she hadn't noticed when he somehow fell asleep on top of her.

When she finally did notice, she tried to raise her head slightly to see what happened. Seeing a peacefully asleep Eugene, Rapunzel chuckled sweetly and tried to adjust him back under the covers.

It took a while to accomplish, but once she did, she felt victorious to do so without waking up the sleeper. Placing a gentle kiss on his forehead, she snuggled up against the warm figure. As long as Eugene was there, Rapunzel knew everything was going to be just fine.

-699 words