Sick Day

"Good morning, sleepy head."

Eugene rubbed his eyes, spotting a brown haired princess once his vision became clear. His face had a soft expression that sent Rapunzel a good morning back. However, it didn't feel like a good morning. Eugene's head was pounding and it felt as if he could throw up a gut. But Eugene doesn't get sick. It's not really his style.

A quick kiss suddenly touches Eugene's lip without warning. He seemed to have zoned out. An anxious princess, however, is completely focused on Eugene. Touching his forehead, the girl lets out a small gasp.

"Eugene," Rapunzel repeatedly flips her hand on Eugene's forehead "You're burning up, are you feeling ok?"

"Of course," Eugene hoped she wouldn't be able to notice the amount of effort it took to even say these two words. But that, of course, doesn't work.

"Yeah, I'm not believing that."

Eugene lets out a deep sigh and places his hands on top of his face, feeling a bit embarrassed about his current state.

"Is there anything I could do to help? Just say the word," Rapunzel placed her hands on her hips as if she could take any request. Eugene, however, didn't need anyone to take care of him. He always took care of himself back at the orphanage, so why couldn't he do the same now?

"Thanks Sunshine, but I'll pass."

"Come on... not even soup or maybe even tea?"

"No, I'll be fine," Eugene raises his hand to touch Rapunzel's face. Rapunzel leaned into his touch and closed her eyes with a feeling of sadness. She doesn't want to leave him alone to suffer.

But Eugene doesn't want her to miss out on her duties. He believes there are more important matters for her to handle right now. He's fine.

"Alright... but if you need anything," The way she said anything was basically as if she was screaming it, trying to get the idea across.

"I'll be fine," Eugene sits up alongside the princess and places a gentle kiss on her wrists.

When Rapunzel heads towards the door, Eugene gets this sick feeling in his stomach. He doesn't want to see her go. It only filled him with the loneliness he thought he left at the orphanage.

"Rapunzel?"

She turns back to look towards the man who had called her, worry in her eyes.

"Maybe you could stay," He gulps at the struggle of these simple words. But he said it and that's all that matters. Rapunzel leaves a smile on her face as she runs to jump into the bed and lay against Eugene.

"I was wondering when you were gonna say that," Rapunzel's fears faded and her face was left with glee.

Eugene giggles at the girl and finally learns. Maybe he could try to rely on others more, especially those who care for him.

*476 words