Chapter Two

Peter approached the house nervously.

He had gotten to Clint's home trouble-free and spent the majority of the journey admiring the scenery. But now that he was here, anxiety started to build up inside of him. He took three deep breaths and walked towards the door.

Peter raised his hand to knock, but just as he did this it swung open to reveal a grumpy looking Clint Barton.

"Hello! Hawkeye!" Peter grinned awkwardly, "it's nice to meet you."

"Come in," Clint sighed, "Bruce called and told me the situation. You're Spider-man?"

"I am," Peter nodded as he walked into the house and followed Clint into the kitchen.

"Great, Spider-man is 12," the archer responded unenthusiastically. He continued before Peter could argue, "and someone mentioned a Black Widow?"

"Yes. Although I don't really understand..." Peter trailed off as he heard someone enter the kitchen.

"Clint, do you know where my bow is? I lost- oh hi!" A woman with dark hair walked towards Peter and smiled, "I'm Kate."

"Hi Kate, I'm Peter," he smiled back, slightly less nervous due to Kate's calm atmosphere.

"Peter you were going to ask a question before Ms. Bishop here interrupted." Clint grumbled with a roll of his eyes.

"Ahh please," Kate snorted in amusement as she stuck her tongue out at Clint, "he is just grumpy because he hasn't had his morning coffee."

Peter looked at both Kate and Clint nervously. He wasn't exactly sure what to say.

"Don't mind him," Kate smirked, "I happen to be his partner and protegé. He gets less grumpy as time goes on."

Clint glared at Kate.

"Peter you had a question?" Clint went back to the original conversation.

Peter glanced at Kate; unsure.

"Hey, don't worry," Clint noticed, "Kate can stay. Like she said... we're partners. And I have a feeling we're going to need her help."

Kate smiled awkwardly.

"I thought there was only... one Black Widow," Peter questioned.

"No, there are definitely more than one. I have a feeling I know the one that is involved in all this."

Kate looked at Clint and Peter in confusion, "can someone catch me up? What's going on?"

"I overheard a woman talking about a Black Widow. She said that she lost her and that the Widow is going to pay."

"Ohhhh that's not good," Kate grimaced.

"Yeah, no shit," Clint sipped his coffee, "oh and he's Spider-man."

"No way! You're Spider-man? That's awesome-"

Peter shrugged and smiled with a wave of his hand.

"Wait Clint, you think you know who- oh-" Kate's eye's widened in realisation, "you really think it could be her?"

"There's only one way to find out," Clint shrugged.

"Um... who? Who are you talking about?" Peter asked: utterly lost.

"You're going to have to call her, Kate," Clint continued, ignoring Peter, "I don't think it would go well if I did. You still have her number?"

"Yeah... yeah I do," Kate frowned, "okay. I'm going to put it on loud speaker... just in case I miss something."

The two archers nodded to each other and walked out of the kitchen towards Clint's study.

"Come on," Clint waved at Peter to follow and closed the door behind him.

Clint's study was extremely untidy. Arrows, papers and tools were placed haphazardly around the room.

Kate sat on the desk and placed her phone next to her as she dialed the Widow's number.

Clint crossed his arms and sat on the armchair in the corner of the room as Peter just stayed standing by the wall.

"Okay," Kate breathed, "it's ringing."

Peter found himself holding his breath as he watched the anxious expressions on Kate and Clint's faces.

The ringing stopped as the Widow answered the phone. There was nothing but silence over the call for at least ten seconds until someone broke it.

"Kate Bishop," the Widow stated joyously, "why are you calling me?"

"Yelena, I need to ask you something," Kate started.

"Yes?"

"Who else did you work for? Other than my mother."

"Why? What is this about?" Yelena asked suspiciously.

"Just please answer the question," Kate insisted.

"Hm... fine. Her name is Val."

"What does she look like and why aren't you working for her anymore?" Kate asked.

"She had purple hair and manipulated and lied to me about Barton."

Peter furrowed his eyebrows as he created a mental note, 'the person he saw is called Val.'  Also, 'Barton and this Yelena person, had some kind of misunderstanding.'

"Yelena, she is after you. I think you're in danger. Can we talk more privately. Please."

"Ha! I'm not afraid of Val. I very much doubt that I am in danger," Yelena scoffed over the phone.

"Yelena," Kate warned, "please, lets just meet up, okay? We need to figure out what Val is planning."

"Fine, okay," Yelena sighed, "I'll message you the details."

"Okay," Kate replied in relief, "thank you. Stay safe, Yelena."

"Whatever you say, Kate Bishop."

The call ended and Peter finally took a seat next to Kate, "who is Yelena?"

Kate looked down at her hands so Peter looked at Clint.

The archer muttered something under his breath before looking up at Peter, "Yelena is Natasha's sister. Someone told her that I was the reason behind Natasha's death. Kate's mother hired her to kill me and she was very determined."

Peter looked at Clint in surprise, silently asking him to continue.

"In the end she decided not to kill me and she walked away. That's the last time I saw her."

Peter wasn't sure what to say. He looked up at the ceiling and scratched his neck.

"Do you drink coffee?" Clint looked at Peter as he stood up from the armchair.

"Er yes. Yeah, thank you."

Clint left the room and Kate looked down at her phone, "Yelena has just replied."

"Oh? What did she say?" Peter looked at the younger archer with furrowed eyebrows.

"'Kate Bishop, I am not stupid,'" Kate read the message and rolled her eyes, "'I know you put me on loudspeaker', shit."

Peter grimaced as Kate continued to read, "'meet me at this address in Ohio. Bring Barton and whoever else heard the phone call. I'll see you tomorrow' That's all she put... well... she added a smiley face."

"Ohio?" Peter questioned.

"I guess that's where she's staying," Kate shrugged, "let's go tell Clint."

"Right," Peter nodded as he stood up, "let's go."