Chapter Fourteen

Yelena saw red and everything stopped. She reached for her gun and, without thinking, ran towards Wanda, shooting at her.

A red mist surrounded each bullet and pushed it to the side as Wanda looked at the assassin guiltily: her hands guiding the magic.

Yelena grunted in frustration as she ran out of bullets. She threw her gun at Wanda and took out her knife.

"Yelena, stop!" Kate yelled as she watched the scene unfold; not sure how to intervene.

The blonde continued to run at Wanda; slicing her knife at the witch ruthlessly. Her eyes were determined and dripping with anger.

"Yelena, I do not want to fight you," Wanda spoke calmly, creating a barrier between herself and the assassin with magic.

Clint aimed an arrow at Wanda steadily, "What do you want? Did you come alone?"

Sam looked at her with a curious expression as he raised his sheild.

"I came alone," she nodded, still blocking Yelena from attacking her, "I no longer work for Val. I left last night and she doesn't know."

Bucky raised his eyebrows slightly in surprise as Peter frowned.

Wanda looked at the assassin and exhaled deeply, "Yelena... the things I made you see... the memories I made you relive- I'm sorry."

Yelena didn't stop trying to stab through the barrier, so Wanda continued, "I promised myself that I would never look inside someone's head again unless it was necessary. I broke that promise and I will never forgive myself. It wasn't right. I'm terribly sorry for the pain that I have caused to you."

Yelena sobbed as she looked up from the barrier and shook her head: her eyes told a thousand words. She continued to stab through the barrier with determination.

Wanda sighed, "I know you're angry at me. I understand. I would be too." She looked at Clint, "I am going to be on my own for a while. I think that would be best for everyone... and for myself. Again, I'm sorry. Goodluck with Val and don't underestimate her."

Clint nodded once and lowered his bow as Wanda floated up in the air again. She escaped quickly before Yelena could stab her with the knife.

Everyone remained silent as the sky returned to it's usual blue.

Yelena dropped to her knees as her hand gripped the knife hard; her knuckles turning a pale white. She stared forward with an unreadable expression.

Sam, Bucky, Shang Chi and Clint looked at eachother in concern as Shuri sighed deeply.

Kate looked at Yelena and approached her slowly; Peter at her side. She kneeled down next to the assassin and carefully loosened the knife from her hand.

"Yelena-" Peter started but stopped as Yelena stood up abruptly and walked towards the house.

"We should go after her," Kate noted, looking at Peter.

He nodded and they both followed the assassin into the empty living room.

Yelena collapsed into the couch; Fanny jumping onto her lap. The assassin took a few deep breaths and she stroked her dog.

Peter sat next to Yelena on one side of the couch as Kate sat on the other.

They sat in silence for a few minutes as they waited for Yelena to calm herself down. The assassin closed her eyes before speaking quietly, "I was so scared when she was in my head."

Peter looked at her with furrowed eyebrows, "it's okay to be scared."

Yelena shook her head, her eyes still closed, "I was taught differently. No emotion. It makes me weak."