Chapter Seventeen

Yelena remained expressionless as she cornered Val. Surrounding them were large trees with fireflies buzzing around the crisp leaves.

"Alright, bravo," Val turned around and threw her hands up in defeat, "you got me."

The assassin raised her gun and aimed it at her head.

"You're really going to kill me?" Val asked in disapproval as she swatted away a fly, "I don't think it's wise, but what do I know?" She sighed, leaning against the tree, "do you wanna know what I think?"

Yelena kept her gun pointed at her face, but didn't shoot.

"I'm gonna take the fact that you haven't killed me yet as a 'yes'," Val smiled in an overly cheerful manner that made Yelena want to bash her head against a wall, "I don't think you're going to kill me. I think you've grown to respect me. I know, I know, it's hard to believe but," she shrugged, "you grew up killing people. It's all you know, which is great because you're amazing at it. And I'm a pretty good boss, when you think of it. You won't find a better boss than me. I'm brilliant. So I think-"

Yelena had had enough of her egotistical rambling. With a stoic expression, she raised her gun and shot a bullet into Val's shoulder.

"Oh SHIT-" Val yelled as she gripped her shoulder; blood trickled on the floor and through her jacket.

She stumbled backwards into another tree as Yelena raised her gun again. Her expression was determined and terrifying as she placed her finger over the trigger.

With a steady arm, she aimed straight at Val's pained expression. Just as she was about to shoot, the assassin sensed someone coming up behind her.

"Yelena!" Peter exclaimed, stumbling beside her, "wait, don't kill her!"

The blonde flared her nostrils in frustration as a frown formed on her face. She didn't speak so Peter continued, "she has contacts and information. We need to hand her over to Fury. His team will sort everything out. I know she is awful and she lied to you and manipulated you. But you don't need to kill her, Yelena."

Yelena remained silent with her gun pointed at Val. Peter wasn't sure if he had got through to her or not, so he waited anxiously for something to happen. Good or bad.

A sigh of relief escaped his lips as Yelena hesitantly lowered the gun and shook her head.

Val, who was still clutching her shoulder in pain, scoffed at the assassin in front of her, "I knew you couldn't do it."

Yelena took two steps forward and smacked Val around the head with her gun; knocking her unconscious.

She turned her head at Peter and raised her eyebrow, "it is infuriating how good of a person you are."

"You okay?" Peter stepped forward to assess the damage.

"Yeah," Yelena looked at her gun and then at the red bruise starting to form on Val's forehead, "that felt good."

Peter chuckled as he lifted Val up and began to carry her back to Clint's house. He started walking and turned his head to glance at Yelena, "you coming?"

She looked up at the fireflies and followed behind him.

They walked in silence for a couple of minutes before someone spoke.

"I just want to say... thank you," Yelena sighed, keeping her eyes trained on the floor, "for stopping me from killing Val... even though she deserved it."

Peter shrugged, "sure."

"I killed people my whole life," she started, "and then once I left the Red Room, I began helping people and it felt so... refreshing. I like helping people. But then I lost five years of my life and I found out my sister died..." she exhaled deeply as Peter listened intently, "as soon as things got bad, I killed again."