Chapter Five

Yelena poked at the pastry on the plate in front of her before readjusting her earpiece. Kate and Peter were listening on the other side. She looked around at the empty coffee shop and sighed as she waited for Val.

They had arrived in New York that afternoon and Yelena had managed to convince Kate and Peter to agree for her to go and talk to Val. She was going to do if whether they agreed or not but it was easier this way.

The assassin leaned backwards in her chair with a bored expression.

"Yelena, do you see anything? What's happening?" Kate spoke through the intercom.

"No, Kate Bishop. Nothing yet," Yelena muttered softly, "other than a very dry pastry."

"You don't think she just wouldn't show up, do you?" Peter asked worriedly.

Yelena looked up as the door opened. Val walked through the coffee shop and sat down in front of her; a fake smile plastered on her face.

"Yelena. How nice it is to see you," she nodded, taking Yelena's pastry and eating a bite from it.

"Hmm," the assassin laughed humourlessly, "let's skip the pleasantries, I have somewhere to be after this. You were late."

"You called me. I have all the time in the world," Val scoffed.

"Ha. I very much doubt that," Yelena glared at Val, while Kate told her to shut up in her ear.

"What do you want?" Val crossed her arms.

"I need a job."

"You quit. I'm not that desperate to get you back," Val smiled before pointing at the pastry, "that is an extremely dry pastry."

"It is," Yelena agreed before leaning forward in her chair, "... sure. I need a job and you need me."

"I don't need you."

"Then why did you threaten Melina," Yelena tilted her head.

Kate and Peter made confused noises over the earpiece.

"Hahah alright," Val raised her hands in mock surrender, "you got me."

"I want to work for you again. But no lying to me this time. Don't tell me someone killed my sister when they didn't," the assassin warned.

"It was a little mistake. It won't happen again."

Yelena raised her eyebrow as Val continued, "so you want to work for me again? I am a good boss, I agree. Okay. Fine. Sure. I have an assignment for you actually. I got it this morning."

"Oh?" Yelena smirked, sipping her coffee.

"Yes. I hope you actually kill this one," Val joked, handing over a photograph, "do this to prove you're loyalty."

Yelena looked at the photograph and laughed internally. It was Alexei.

"Hmm. Okay. Thank you," Yelena nodded and stood up from her seat, "I must be going now, but you know how to contact me, yes?"

"Actually I want you to meet my new team," Val announced out of the blue.

"You have a team? Okay, sure. Yeah. When?" Yelena agreed, walking towards the door.

"Is tomorrow good for you?"

"Sure. Message me the details," Yelena opened the coffee shop door and walked out.

She laughed drily as she heard Val yell, "See you soon, Belova," out the door.

________________________________________