CHAPTER THREE

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

AS THEY reached the gate the sounds of mooing cows, clucking chickens and someone raking hay could be heard in the distance. Seraphina had realized one terrible thing on this short journey—it was possible something was spreading around.

I don't want a repeat again.

Leon was quite prepared unlike her, so he had multiple weapons on hand if anything bad had happened. Or anything worse than the chainsaw incident. Hopefully no more chainsaw men. He held his handgun up with his wrists, eyeing out the area.

Hearing the signs of life made them both tense up. The well next to the barn house was filled to the brim with a gray green water. Sounds of flies could be heard, buzzing all around it. Maggots and worms swam in the disgusting water, birthing in numbers.

A foul smell radiated off of the surface. Seraphina shined her small flashlight into the waters and saw a peculiar growth along the edges. So many resemblances to the T-virus, similar to when they were in the sewers and saw it flourishing in waters.

"This really looks like Raccoon City's sewers, when it was spreading all over," Seraphina grimaced at the sight. Leon leaned over her shoulder, his face by her ear and eyed the murky waters. She could feel how close he was, even his breath. "Doesn't it?"

"You're right. Not a good sign."

As if a heavy weight off of her lungs had been lifted, Leon got up and went out to examine the barn. Finally, she can breathe a little. He's overbearing sometimes. Every building was built with wooden planks, clearly aged with the darkened spots. A village made from the ground up.

It had gone quiet beside the white noise.

"Leon?" Seraphina called out as she approached the barn housing the cows. The cows shifted slowly as they ate the hay, their tiny tails flickering around. The silence was met with the sound of garbled speech, an angry man heading towards her.

She finally got a good look at the villager's faces—despite being human, there was something truly uncanny and wrong with their appearance. Their eyes were bloodshot and red, lusting for their deaths. Every single one of them had that look. Other than that, they did not look visibly sick.

What is it?

The older man stuck out the rake and aimed for her, but being quick on her feet, she stepped aside in time. Being a brute force, he couldn't stop as he got up again, only to be met with a bullet in the shoulder. Crying out in pain, he spoke a few last words in a language she couldn't understand.

"Te voy a romper en pedazos..."

Words she couldn't decipher but the hatred and resentment in his tone was enough. It sounded like he was saying something specifically to me. Two bullet holes in his head finally killed the man, slumping forward. Blood stained her boots, leaving a crimson kiss of death.