CHAPTER EIGHT

┆ ° ♡ • ➵ ✩ ◛ °

┆ ° ♡ • ➵ ✩ ◛ °

THUNDER RUMBLED and lightning flashed in the sky. Heavy rain battered against her bare shoulders, the storm raging across the village. Loud, resounding noises made Seraphina flinch, wondering if it would strike them down. With their bad luck, it sure wouldn't be surprising.

Even the water waves splashed madly against the walls which was fueled by the storm. The weather wasn't in their favor, A villager guarding the pathway walked towards them, suddenly convulsing and twitching furiously.  His limbs snapped back, bones crackling with force.

Leon put an arm out in front of her, waiting back for him to stop. Now bringing out a shotgun, Leon aimed for the man. In a abrupt burst of flesh and blood, the man's head popped off and instead replaced with a bulbous monster head. Long, tentacle-like things sprouted from the same head, cutting anyone who got too close.

"Jesus," Leon groaned and shot straight at the head. She could never get used to the loudness of a shotgun, compared to a pistol. "What happened to his head?"

"It's evolving." Seraphina answered. She surely didn't want to see the rest of the evolved parts of the virus. If the T-virus had terrifying Lickers and aggressive zombie dogs, then this was no exception.

Down below, the rivers raged in the stormy weather. They were a far way up from getting down. Even if Leon was on the ground to catch her if she fell from the rope, it didn't help her nerves seeing the towering height.

Leon went down first, jumping the rest of the way onto the floor. Her hands gripped the rope, the coarseness of the material rubbed against her palms. Leaving red marks, her sore hands managed to hold on until Seraphina's feet finally touched the ground.

"Your hands..." He said softly.

Red lesions were visible, which prompted him to take her hand and eye the wounds. It took every part of her to not flinch at the contact. Why had she gotten this...defensive?

"It doesn't hurt. I'm okay."

The structures around the body of water in indicated it was to help the dam and they had to stop the water or else they were going to get flooded with the rushing rivers from the other side.

Closing down the river and putting the dam also meant they could get past. Pulling the rusty lever and letting the river stop flowing before it spilled over, they entered the cave behind the waterfall. As if forgotten, a golden insignia lay on the cavern wall. This would lead them into another stem of the cave.

Things were going a little bit too easy.

A sense of unease and dread settled in her stomach, although Seraphina wouldn't voice it out loud. The kind of feeling approaching your shoulders, crawling over with long fingernails gripped onto your body in fear.