23: Falling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

–J.R.R. Tolkien (The Two Towers)

Mood: Heads.Cars.Bending -the 1975

_-*-_-*-_

"What the f—" Tyde said.

Mamma Mellet cut him off with, "Hey! We do not use those words in this house!"

It was the morning of February 15th, which was Tyde's birthday. Our family has this thing where we always celebrate the birthdays in the morning, no matter what was going on. Tyde and Sage had school starting at Eight-Thirty, so we had to be up before seven to open his gifts. Steele was leaving the next day, so he had to get packed, and my dad had to get to work. So basically, everyone had somewhere to go. Thank god that I didn't have my English class until noon.

Connor and I sat at the kitchen table, next to Tyde and Steele. Sage and my parents were sitting at the kitchen counter. My mom was taking pictures of Tyde opening his gifts, like she does every year. She has a scrapbook album that focuses on different milestones of our lives. Apparently turning a year older is a huge milestone.

Tyde was picking at the duct tape on the big box that Connor and I had wrapped up so nicely for him. After a shit ton of Tyde cursing and getting in trouble for swearing, and the rest of the family laughing at him, Tyde finally gave up and set out to find scissors or a knife.

He came back two minutes later with my dad's big hunting knife. "This was the only one I could find," He said. I rolled my eyes at him, but scooted as far away from him as possible. No matter what the circumstances, I would never trust Tyde with a knife.

Tyde cut through the first box, only to reveal another one underneath. He sighed once seeing the way that one was also wrapped in duct-tape. He started on that box, determined to get the gift. Steele, Sage, Connor, and I were all laughing super hard at him, but I don't think my parents found it amusing. At least not my mom, whom I saw continually slap my dad's arms for snickering.

After five boxes, Tyde finally uncovered the "Just Dance" game. Tyde looked at Connor and I with an annoyed expression. "Really?" He said in his adorable Aussie accent.

"How much do you love me for that?" I asked. I wore a sly expression, and perched my head on my arms that were supported on the table.

Tyde rolled his eyes, but nonetheless he still said, "Thanks." Tyde was actually quite a polite kid, he just knew how to get under his siblings skin. They say the youngest child is always like that, though.

After Tyde was done unpacking all of his gifts, my mom pulled out the cake. She lit up thirteen candles and walked over to Tyde. Everyone progressively started singing as "Happy Birthday" to him, and once we were finished, the cake was placed on the table in front of him. Tyde blew the candles out, and my mom brought the cake back to the kitchen to cut it.

"Okay, I will give you guys your pieces in a container for lunch because I am not allowing you to eat cake in the morning," My mom said. My mom would never stop mothering us.

Sage slouched down in her seat and huffed. "But I was looking forward to getting cake before school." I rolled my eyes at her silly behaviour. I got up, Connor following, and ruffled her hair with my hand. She gave me a pouted smirk, and sighed.

"Mom we will be going up to my room. I'll be down when I have to go to school," I said, climbing up the stairs. When Connor and I made it to my room, we sat down on my bed. "What are you going to be doing today?"