29: Home

The drive to Connor's place was quiet. Connor and I stayed in the back of the car, occasionally exchanging awkward glances with each other. To say that we weren't slightly embarrassed about the cheek-kissing situation would be a lie. I tried my best not to get too worked up about it, but I probably failed to do so. It wasn't as if I could just forget it, and I was making it very obvious. I could tell that that was making Connor uncomfortable, too.

As soon as the car pulled over on the side of the street next to Connor's house, where I decided on staying the night, Connor opened his door as quickly as possible. I stepped out the same door after him, and looked down at the curb. I was reminded of the event over a month and a half ago, where I picked up a crying Connor. I immediately shake my head of such a thought, because it is overwhelming to think of that very sad night.

Connor immediately pulled me over to the stairs that lead down to his room once we got into his house. I didn't think to question his urgency; instead, I just went with it. It seemed that Connor was a person that you really shouldn't question because he knows what is up.

We got to his room after a shit ton of running and stumbling down the stairs. At one point, I was certain that I was going to be falling down them. I sat down on his bed, and he joined me. I was out of breath because of the previous activity, and Connor sat in front of me, smirking. "You okay, there?" That was the first thing he said in a while.

I tried to regain my breath, and swallowed before saying, "Yep." It was an awful squeaking sound that did not help my embarrassment.

Fortunately, Connor just laughed. Unfortunately, Connor kept laughing. It wasn't that funny, but I guess after a long, active day, things seem much funnier. I only know that because of the nights that I stay up until four, I can be very much the same way.

I watched in amusement as Connor fell back so that his back was on the bed. He kept laughing until tears came to his eyes. It seemed like the laughter was rubbing off, because shortly after, I was joining him. I didn't even know why I was laughing, and I bet that Connor didn't either. Sometimes, I think you need to just let it happen.

Once we got control over ourselves again, I sighed and said, "You were really good, Connor." I was actually sort of nervous about coming across as too strong for him, but then I remembered it was Connor that I was speaking to. That kid never had a filter when he spoke, so why did I have to live in fear of saying the wrong thing?

He grabbed the medal that he got (it was still hanging around his neck) and looked down at it. After staring at it for a long time, he responded with, "Yeah, I did." I think it was the way he said it-soft and in thought-that caused me to start laughing again. He immediately joined, and for the second time in those ten minutes, we laughed until our chests hurt.

Eventually, Nicola came running in the room. I saw her first reaction at us was worry, but once seeing that we were perfectly safe, she put on the most amused face I have ever seen. I found her expressions towards the wreck that we were even funnier than the entire situation. This caused even more laughter.

"You two need sleep!" She said with a happy tone of voice.

After calming down, I realized just how exhausted I was. I could hardly imagine what it would be like for Connor, whom just had a big competition. He must've been a zombie!

"Dad wanted me to tell you that supper is ready if you guys want. He wasn't so sure," Nicola said, still standing in the door way awkwardly.

I watched Connor shrug before saying, "I was just going to order pizza or something. You can tell him, though, that I appreciate the thought." It confused me how he said that statement. The words were very polite and collected, but he said them through spite and hatred, almost like he couldn't care about his dad's feelings; almost as if his hopes were to hurt him.