31: You

The next Monday, I was casually walking through the school hallways on my way to drama class. For whatever reason, the hallways were filled with this ecstatic excitement that sort of rubbed off me. It was bright in the halls, making all of the colors seem more vibrant. I wasn't sure if it was the season changing-Spring bringing warmth-or it was just exciting with the play only a couple months away.

I was still smiling when I made my way to the auditorium, where most of the practices were taking place. With the play coming up soon, we were finally starting to block, which was equally exhausting as it was exciting.

Quickly, I pushed the doors open and stepped inside, conscious of the idea that I might be the only one there. I was still many minutes early, so I wasn't expecting the majority of the class already set up and ready to go when I stepped into that room, but that is what happened none-the-less.

I stood there in shock. Walking into a room when you expect no one and find everyone can be just a tad bit startling. My eyes scanned across the room, trying to figure out who was all there and why they were there so early. I received some blank stares, but when my eyes landed on Grace, she beckoned me over. When I sat down, she told me the reason that everyone was there so early. She explained that they were all told to come a little bit earlier because there was going to be a lot of things happening that day. I nodded, not even about to question how she knew that was what I was puzzling over to begin with. I guess that is just Grace for you.

I continued looking around the circle, my head spinning into even more confusion when I saw Connor across from me. He had the camera that he showed me many times before strapped around his shoulders, and was talking to Sawyer about something. It didn't even seem like they were having a forced conversation, rather one that intrigued the both of them. I smiled in his direction, but he was so caught up in whatever the two were doing, that he didn't even notice me. For whatever reason, I found his fascination adorable. I knew that he knew I was in drama class, so there was no way that this was just a coincidence.

As I was casually staring at Connor in admiration, Mrs. Sings chose that moment to come barging into the class. "So why are we all this early?" Some blonde chick, a nameless person I suppose, said. I could already tell what kind of person she was just by her rudely worded question. She seemed overly pretentious, to say the least.

Mrs. Sings looked at Connor with the awkwardly scrunched up face she always seemed to wear and said, "We have a new kid in this class! Everyone, this is Connor," She said, pointing to him, "He is going to be our play photographer so that we have pics for the year-book!"

That was when the most comical thing ever happened. Everyone whipped their heads around to face Connor. Under the spotlight, Connor's face turned super red, and he gulped so hard that I could visibly see it meters away from him. Grace looked at him and said, "Initiation time!" Everyone laughed softly, and Connor just groaned.

I actually sort of felt bad for Connor. He wasn't expecting this kind of thing to happen, yet it still did. He was completely dragged under the bus, and there was almost nothing I could do about it. "How about you tell the crowd something about you?" Someone asked.

"Um, I'm Connor," He started. Everyone waited patiently and respectfully for him to gather up his thoughts. "And I'm gay?" He squeaked. Everyone laughed, but not teasingly. I couldn't help but laugh with them all. Even Connor was laughing at his own awkwardness, and it wasn't just some fake laugh, either. It was one of the ones I recognized as him actually enjoying himself.

Once the laughter died down, people continued to ask him questions. I wasn't surprised when I knew exactly what he would answer them with, because I have known him for a while. As they were asking him all about whom he is, I just sat back and enjoyed the way his face softened when he was talking about something that he was passionate about.