25: What Falls Breaks

I fired a text to Connor the next day that read,

"Hey! How's a-going?!"

I waited over half an hour in the morning for a response, but I got none. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion because Connor usually would always respond to my texts. We had been texting each other non-stop after he went back to his parents, so it was a tad confusing why he would chose that morning not to reply. I sighed and threw my phone to the other side of my bed, because I knew that if I did that, I would not be tempted by it. I had a short amount of time to get my ass up and moving in the direction of school.

After my shower, I picked up my phone from where I left it. I grunted as I saw that Connor still hadn't replied. What was with him?

I went downstairs to the kitchen. Once again, my mom was busy with making us breakfast. "What's cooking?" I asked, right as I wrapped my arms around her in a tight embrace. She returned the hug, and smiled as we pulled away from each other.

"Breakfast," She replied smartly. I gave her a blank look as she handed me a plate full of pancakes. I think my mom had this thing about going above and beyond.

I thanked my mom with a quick kiss to her cheekbone and sat down to eat the food. I noticed that Connor still hadn't replied to my text. At that point, I was starting to get really agitated. Why was he ignoring me?

I finally decided to send another text to him,

"Respond to me!!"

I waited for yet another five minutes, while casually eating the sum of my breakfast. My mom must've seen the frustrated expression that I was so visibly wearing, because she asked me, "What is wrong, honey?"

I sighed and decided to tell her the truth. I figured that my mom and I were on that kind of level, despite my never being in such a situation. "Connor's ignoring me," I said.

I looked up from my phone long enough to see her worried face. Her eyebrows were scrunched together, and her lips were pursed like she wanted more out of my mouth. "What do you mean?"

"Well, he hasn't responded to any of the texts I sent to him this morning, and I don't know... I am just sort of worried about him. Like what if I did something to justify him ignoring me?"

My mom gave me a soft expression. She came around the island-counter and wrapped her arms around my tiny body. I relaxed in the embrace, thankful that she could get that kind of reaction from me. I knew that I could always count on my mom to help me.

"Oh sweetie," she said in her caring tone, "I am sure everything is fine. Connor is okay. There are many possible reasons why he hasn't replied yet."

I huffed, and held my head in my hands. "I know. I just can't help it. You know I have always expected the worst in every situation. Oh my god mom!" I said with realization of the situation. "What if something bad happened to him? Maybe his parents got mad at him again but took his phone!" I was trembling in fear that came out of nowhere. I clung to my mom's shirt, waiting for her to say something that could make me feel a little less anxious.

My mom petted my head and never left the embrace. "You really care about him, don't you?"

"I care about anyone who gets kicked out of their house for their sexual orientation!"

"Hey, it is okay," She replied, with concern. I wanted to believe her, but I wasn't sure how much of that statement was just fabricated for the means of making me feel better. "There are many other possible and more likely situations that could've caused him to not respond."

Slowly, my breathing returned to its normal pace. I pulled out of my mom's arms, and looked up at her with a small smile. I loved her so much, and it was amazing how good it felt to know that feeling was mutual.