24: Auditions

An hour later, Connor stepped out of bathroom. I was casually sprawled out over my bed, reading a bunch of text-posts on my phone, but I dropped my phone when I saw him. He was fully clothed, but his hair was still wet from the shower he just had. Connor leaned on the doorpost, facing me.

I sighed, trying to gather all of my thoughts. "What are we, Connor?"

"Two fucked up kids in a fucked up world," He replied.

I rolled my eyes and put on an annoying accent. "No dumby, I meant what is this relationship?"

Connor sighed and responded with, "Troye, just because we fought doesn't mean whatever is between you and I is over. I think our friendship is still that heading in the direction of a relationship."

"I guess," I said. It was just so weird to think about being in a relationship in the first place. "Are you making me wait so that you know I am the one?" I teased in a cliché, and dreamy voice.

Connor walked over, slapped my arm, and lied beside me. "No Connor!" I squealed. "Not on here with your wet hair!"

Connor rolled his eyes, but didn't move. He gave a huff and said, "Troye, I think you need to work on staying on topic. You constantly try to make light of every single deep conversation, and it always breaks the mood."

I giggled a little, even though I knew it wasn't really smart. I stopped, however, when I saw Connors stern expression. "That is the point," I sighed, poking Connor in the ribs.

"Troye, you understand what I am trying to get at, right? Like you know what I mean by we are not ready for a relationship?" Connor said. He sounded stressed out, and I didn't blame him. I think it goes for the two of us that the argument we had earlier tensed the mood of the situation. I didn't like it one bit, so I was trying to get the happy atmosphere back with jokes and humor like Connor said I did. Connor, on the other just dealt with the stress more in a way that was much more visible.

I nodded my head and quietly said, "Yeah. I do."

Connor sat up and slapped my knee like my grandparents always did. "Good," He said, standing up and walking to the door. "Then let's get going with the stuff we need to do."

-

Wednesday was when auditions were held for our school play.

Connor was back at his parents place, and with the free time, I practiced my lines. I decided to do that one scene where Cinderella meets the Prince for the first time. Although I would probably be a great Cinderella, I chose to play the Prince instead, because I didn't want to be bullied for playing the role of a princess.

I walked into the auditorium with zero expectations on what was about to go on. I heard the Drama class veterans say that auditions were horrible, so I was starting to get really anxious.

I sat down beside Grace a couple of minutes before Mrs. Sings entered. It seemed like she was always going to be on the later side of things.

"Hey how have you been doing?" Grace asked with her pretty little voice. She put a hand on my knee and gave it a pat. With any other person, I would've been so disgusted by the physical contact, but it seemed like a very Grace thing to do, so I just dismissed it as normality.

"Shitty," I responded without hesitation. I noticed Grace's eyebrows shoot up from my forwardness. I shrugged because it was the truth. I felt like complete shit. In fact, the entire week after the argument had been shit. There was stress, and worry, and emptiness. I really tried to keep myself in a happy mindset, but it was a lot harder to do something than to just want it.