28: Cliché Platonic Shit

A/N

Disclaimer: I have never witnessed nor participated in swim meet, so please don't judge me!

_-*-_-*-_

The next Saturday was crazy.

Connor and I had been texting for nonstop the entire week before that day about how we were to go about with the events of that Saturday. He had his very important swimming competition, and I really wanted to come. We figured it would be best to car pool, and seeing that his mom was coming with us, we thought it would be fine if he came and picked me up. Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy.

First of all, I am sure he was extremely stressed out over the competition, so the morning of must've been crazy for him. He kept texting me about when he would be there, and it just got a little overwhelming. At first he said he'd be at my place by seven, so I woke up super early. After I hadn't seen him and it was past seven-thirty, I got a call about how he had slept in and wasn't going to be coming until eight. That happened over and over but eventually he came over and we were off.

For the most of the ride, the three of us were super quite. Connor decided that he would sit next to me in the back, but I wasn't sure why. I wanted to believe that it was because he wanted to sit beside me, but it was more likely that he didn't want to sit by his mom. I noticed how he didn't even look at her.

We reached the community pool, and as soon as the car stopped, Connor flew out. He grabbed his swim bag from the trunk, grabbed my hand and led me to the entrance. I raised my eyebrows at the hand-holding, but didn't complain. I was definitely happy to be holding that kids hand, but I am sure it was a completely platonic action. I received evidence to that inference when he started skipping and swinging our hands like a little kid. Giggling, I ran to keep up with his fast pace.

"How has your day been, Troye?" He asked, looking over his shoulder to see me. The only reason he had to do so was because he was literally dragging me behind him.

I laughed and said, "It is an early one, to say the least." He shook his head and only sped up. We got a lot of stares from strangers around us, but I did not care in the slightest. It was a weird feeling; this confidence, strength. It felt as if no one could bring me down. I had finally realized that my life shouldn't be about pleasing others, rather than pleasing you. I would and will never be able to do something that everyone agrees with. My biggest problem was, with my sexuality and skinny body; I thought no one would like me. I think that is why I was lacking confidence, thus being intimidated by Connor's opposite personality. But upon realizing that I am me, and no one can change that, I think I finally was able to see everything in a good light.

The two of us, still skipping and holding each other's hands, zipped around a corner, where Connor slowed down to a walk. "Okay, I need to go get changed," He said. Then he pointed to a door across the hallway and said, "The stands are through that door. Go find a seat, and I'll come out later to introduce you to my friends."

I went and did as he told, grabbing my phone from my pocket to ease my boredom. After what felt like forever, I glanced up to see Connor's mom come down and sit next to me.

After awkward silence, and the two of us staring ahead at the swimming pool, she finally coughed to start a conversation. "So, you are Troye, right?" She said. She was acting hesitant, and wouldn't look me in the eye.

"I am," I said, acting as formal as possible. Even though I didn't like her, I figured I would show her some respect as that would look good on Connor's behalf.

She finally looked at me and said, "So how do you know Connor?"

I thought about it for a bit, but nothing came to my mind. It wasn't like I could just tell her that I knew of him by running into him at Starbucks, now could I? That would sound creepy and probably wouldn't be easy to explain. I thought about lying and telling her that I went to school with him, but there were way too many holes in that story. I sighed, not able to come up with an answer.