Chapter 42 - Spilled

When the alarm went off the next morning, Nina woke up feeling fresh. Maybe it was because she was fully free of the oppressing and sinking feeling the sickness had put her under for days, or maybe it was because for the first time since they had arrived in Amentia, they had had the most normal and uneventful day and she had gone to sleep tired from doing nothing, a feeling she enjoyed immensely.

Nati woke up with more questions in her mind than she had had upon closing her eyes for the night. Each useless question annoyed her more than the previous one. She felt like she was being forced to play a game without knowing the rules. There were too many variables and the magic of this place didn't seem to have any boundaries; how would she ever find the answer she was looking for if there were no limits to the possibilities? Needless to say, she woke up in a bad mood. When the troupe had the conversation about the duties of the day during breakfast, she volunteered for cleaning, so she could do something with her hands while her mind worked. She was frustrated with this puzzle, but she'd be damned if she let it win. She would fry her brain coming up with theories if that's what it took to find the answer.

While Nati came and went across the living room carrying buckets of water, Nina sat at the table with Az and Adam discussing art and effects for the play of the day. Zoe was given homework and was carving some wood outside the caravan; she didn't have any tools with her and the task seemed to be challenging for her, but she looked very pleased about it.

Meiko was outside as well, learning a few stunts for the play from Almar, who was the one that usually performed them. Anna was sad to have to leave for the Market Plaza and miss the sound of Meiko's melody while she moved through the choreography. As she walked away alongside Maylin, Anna took a peek at the flow of the wind around Meiko: she looked so much more comfortable with herself now. Just the fact that she had accepted Almar's proposal of learning his stunts without so much as a second's hesitation was proof enough. And not only that, but she also felt no embarrassment from making a mistake in front of him and asking for his help to do it better next time. She was truly free from all her bounds now.

"I'm sorry you have to lose teaching hours with Zoe just to escort me to the Plaza," Anna said to Maylin as they were closing in on the park.

Maylin raised her left index finger to her face and moved it in a curved, outward motion along her eyebrow. It took a second for Anna to remember that the gesture meant confusion.

"I don't see why you would apologize; we all agreed that I should come with you for safety," said Maylin.

"Still, it sucks that I'm keeping you from the activity you enjoy the most."

"And I am keeping you from drooling over your athletic girlfriend, so I think we're even."

Anna laughed a big laugh. Drooling over Meiko really was her current favorite activity, she couldn't lie. Anna looked up at Maylin's tall figure with a smile. Despite her apology, she was glad Maylin was accompanying her to the Plaza; her presence was comforting.

As they walked across the park, Anna asked, "How's Zoe doing?"

"She'll probably be able to build her own double-spaced objects in the next twenty to thirty days. She learns fast; I barely ever have to repeat myself. It's impressive; any Drehvian would be jealous of her natural talents. She doesn't have a good eye for ornamentation, though; she's not an artist like me."

They finally reached the bridge and crossed the river over to the Market Plaza. Anna's focus was split into two as she kept a conversation with Maylin while they waited to barter and listened and watched the wind around the Plaza. There were a lot of silent melodies around, and the wind was spread around oddly as it avoided touching many skins. The town had been like that too, but here it was more noticeable because the spaces were smaller and people stood closer together while they waited in line. Anna felt nervous. But the bartering went by without any major conflict (Maylin was a far more effective haggler than Meira, it seemed, because they were able to get the meat she wanted for a reasonable price), and they walked back to the bridge as easily as they had before.