Chapter 68 - Friend

Nati landed out of the portal in a tumble, as if she'd tripped on a rock or a loose flagstone, except there was only grass and dry mud here in the park. She stretched out her hands as she tumbled down, and some dirt flew into her eyes, blinding her for a moment. When she was finally able to rub it off, she found the sun high in the sky, the park empty. It had to be midday or at least late morning... but of what day? They had been in Amentia for at least thirty days. How much time had passed here? Her family must have been worried sick about her if she'd been gone that long.

She ran to her house, not realizing that she was wearing an outfit that could've come out of a period film until people passing by gave her puzzled stares. With the commotion of leaving Nina and Zoe, and the fact that she'd got used to wearing these clothes to the point of not noticing them anymore, she'd forgotten to change into her regular clothes before going through the portal, which meant they were now lost forever inside the caravan's closet. At least she'd remembered to bring her phone and keys.

She ran as fast as she could, surprised by the amount of concrete that surrounded her, and when she arrived to the front fence of her house she realized the place was probably empty, because it usually was in the morning. Her dad was probably out fixing some rooftop somewhere in the city and her mom should be at the store. Still, she went inside to check, struggling with the keys due to her nerves. She walked around her house in a hurry and confirmed no one was there. Trying not to get emotional about being home again, she rushed out the door to go to the shop. She didn't even think to change her clothes before going out again.

So she ran the fifteen blocks that separated her home from her family's grocery store and walked in without a second's hesitation. Panting, she looked around the empty aisles until she found her mom walking out of the storage room in the back and returning to her seat behind the counter. When her mom saw her, it looked like her soul had returned to her body. She clumsily walked out from behind the counter and ran to her daughter with her arms stretched forward and tears in her eyes. Nati hurried the rest of the way to her and when they hugged each other it felt like pieces fitting together. Her mom held her tightly, caressing the back of her head with a shaky hand. They stayed that way for a minute or two, just enjoying each other's nearness. Her mom cried loudly during the entire embrace, and Nati had a sinking feeling in her chest.

"My baby..." her mom finally said, whimpering. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened to you?" she asked, separating herself from her to look into her eyes and rub her cheeks.

"I'm okay, I'm not hurt. I've been... away. I couldn't get in touch, I'm sorry."

Her mom wrapped her in her arms again, sighing and thanking God. "We've been so worried. We thought the worst," she said, tears pouring from her eyes again.

"How long have I been gone?" Nati asked, breathing in her mom's scent from her shirt.

"Thirty-eight days."

Nati's head spun. Almost forty days. God. That's way too long for your daughter to be missing in a country where most women who disappear end up being found dead in horrible circumstances.

"I have to call the police, tell them you came back," her mom said, more to herself than to Nati.

"I'm so, so, so sorry, ma. It wasn't my intention to leave without telling you. I didn't plan it. I wasn't running away or anything like that."

"Where did you go then?"

"It's... hard to explain."

Her mom finally noticed the clothes Nati was wearing, and the question was clear on her face. She looked at her daughter curiously, as if truly noticing her for the first time. Something about her was different, and it wasn't just the clothes or the tan on her skin. And she was completely healthy and unharmed, not a scratch on her. She looked exactly the same as the last time she'd seen her, but the expression of her eyes and the way she carried herself were different.