Side Chapter: The prettiest witch in town

DAVINA'S POV:

Since I can remember, I never felt like I belonged. My mother spends most of her time with the other witches; my father has been out of the picture since before my birth and my friends?

Whom am I kidding? I do not have any.

I always had the hope that I would be able to find my place among my family, the witches or school. I feel like there must be something wrong with me. No one seems to care about me and it really hurts. When I was younger, I tried to spend time with my mother but it always blew up in my face. At first, it was just nasty comments but after a while, it got physical. Luckily, it never grew worse than a few pushes and shoves over the years, but I cannot say if it is only because I gave up and kept my distance from her.

The coven is supposedly a supportive community of witches but they never tried to include me in anything. Every time I meet the other young witches, they treat me badly. At best, they ostracize me and at worst, they bully me.

Which is exactly what happened today. My mom took me to meet the coven. The minute we entered, I took my leave and went to the playground around the block. No one ever notices my absence. That day the girls must have had it in their head to plague me as they had followed all the way. The minute I arrived, they started spouting disgusting comments. I ignored them to the best of my abilities but when I did not give them the reaction they wanted, they started throwing sticks at me. They kept going until I had to hunker down in defense.

Then it happened. Something I never could have hoped for. Out of nowhere, an older girl puts herself between me and the group and starts scolding them. I peeked over my arm and saw all their pale faces. I wish I had a camera to capture that moment. The girl stated some harsh truths and made them run away with their tail tucked away. She turned towards me but I did not move from my position. In my experience, people never treat me kindly. I stay still as a statue and quiet as a mouse.

I can hear her getting closer. I can see her shadow on the ground next to me. She seems to have squated down to my level.

"Hey there. Those annoying flies are gone now. You're safe." She said it with warmth; it felt surreal, as no one had ever talked to me like that before. It scared me to hope that she could be different. I had hoped many times before and was always left with disappointment. She does not move and seems to wait for me so I lift my head a bit to look at her. At that moment, a most beautiful smile spreads on the older girls face.

"Hi. My name is Caroline. What is your name?"

The sun is shining from behind her. Her blonde hair looks resplendent, like a halo. She looks like a real angel. How can this be? Do angels really exist?

I am petrified that this is just all part of my imagination. Did I really go crazy? No, it cannot be. My arms and legs still hurt from the sticks the girls threw at me. Therefore, this has to be real.

"D-Davina. M-My name i-is Davina." I stutter the words shyly. It is the first time in a long time that someone treated me so kindly.

"What a beautiful name. It is wonderful to meet you Davina!" Her comment makes me blush. Her smile never wavers and she radiates warmth. It is so strong that it almost feels like a cloak enveloping me. It is a most wondrous feeling I hope it never ends.

"Seems like you got bruised quite a bit. Does it hurt very much?" Of course, she had to notice my wounds. They are hard to hide. No one ever takes the time to take care of me when I get hurt. This is all very new to me and also embarrassing.

"No. It's nothing." I hide my face in the hopes of hiding my shame along with it. What would she think? Probably, that there must be something behind the actions of those girls and that there is something wrong with me. She will most likely turn away in disgust. How could I not have defended myself? Honestly, I did try at first but it only made them angry and I would only get hurt more. So I stopped.