Chapter 11

3rd POV:

After chatting away for a while Caroline leaves the coffee shop and makes her way to explore SAM, the Seattle Art Museum. Slowly walking through the exhibition, she looks at each painting hung on the walls. Some call to her more than others. She does not see herself as an art expert in any way shape or form, but she certainly learned to appreciate them and feels a deeper connection to them.

At first, any and all pieces reminded her of a fearsome hybrid that had made a noble sacrifice to save his beloved daughter but over the years she found true solace in it.

One day, whilst searching for another clue to find a way to stop the merge, she passed by a street artist in the middle of a busy square. Upon laying her eyes on the canvas the man was working on, she stopped in her tracks - mesmerized. The painting itself was nothing out of the ordinary but for Caroline it hit all the right buttons. On that day, she learned an invaluable lesson that would accompany her through the rest of her life. Art transcends time. No matter how many days, years, or decades pass. The creativity created by humankind will always shine through any calamity. She finally understood what Klaus had meant all those years ago. Many a time did he try to explain but she never truly understood it on a deeper level – that is until that moment.

From then on, Caroline avidly started to visit exhibitions, museums and observe street artists for the simple comfort that she found in the creations. Funnily enough, she did try her hand at painting herself but found more joy in watching, than making her own creations. All the pieces that she had created in her effort to learn mysteriously disappeared in a pile of ash, never to be seen again. One could guess that the blonde may have been embarrassed of what she had created and did not want anyone to lay eyes on her supposed failures.

Now, though she finds herself back again, walking the halls of the museum exhibition of contemporary art and stopping in front of a painting of a graceful dancer. The piece only shows her back, her face unseen, the pose is very dynamic, and the colors are dark and muted. Caroline takes a seat on the bench that is conveniently positioned in front of the painting and analyzes it and trying to figure out what it makes her feel and what she can take from it.

During her musings, she notices the bench slightly moving as someone takes a seat next to her, but she does not take her eyes off the painting hung across from her.

"Fascinating, isn't it?"

Caroline freezes up as soon as she hears that familiar voice with a British lilt coming from her right side. The whole world seemed to have stopped in its tracks. Her breath and thoughts seemed to have put on pause for a millisecond that seemed to stretch out for ages. Startled and confused, she turned her head to look at the person that just spoke.

"Pardon me, I did not intend to startle you." He apologizes and smiles slightly, showing his dimples. Promptly she clears her head, takes a breath, and stutters a quick, "oh-oh no, no. That- I mean, don't worry about it. I was just lost in my own thoughts."

"Well then, I apologize for interrupting your thoughts." He says softly, "what were you thinking of? If I may ask."

"Oh, uh – nothing much. I am not very well versed when it comes to art, but I do enjoy it. There are some works that I feel are more compelling than others and when I find one as such, I like to just look at it and bask in its beauty."

"Now, there is nothing wrong with that. Seems to me like your subconscious knows which pieces might hold a message for you. This one for example, is about acceptance and growth. The darkness that surrounds us, the darkness that we hold within each of us and how accepting that part of ourselves – not being controlled by it – makes us grow as people and reach new heights."