Chapter 13

3rd POV:

As promised, Enzo called Caroline when he landed and was on his way to the excavation site. Three hours later he finally arrived to meet Gabe – his informant and friend.

"Hola Gabriel, how are you?" Enzo greeted him. Gabriel, or Gabe as he prefers, turned around with a smile and spread his arms to give him a hug to return the greeting.

"Lorenzo! Amigo mio. All is well. I have kept watch on the place as I was unable to take everything out discreetly. I was hoping that you could use your special talent instead." The strapping, young Spaniard responded.

Gabriel Fernando Torres is a 27-year-old Spanish traveler and explorer. In his childhood, he was enamored with Indiana Jones. So much so, that he decided early on to explore the world and its hidden treasures as soon as he was able. Studies always came easy to him, which in turn granted him a scholarship in archeology at the University of Oxford. After graduating with exceptional results, he joined the world-renowned archeologist Dr. Howard Roth in his explorations as an intern. Quick on the uptake the young man learned as much as he could from his mentor but soon heard the irresistible call of adventure. At 25, he went his own way travelling, exploring and most importantly networking. He built himself a network of information that spreads all over the world. Always on top of new discoveries.

During the last year, the young adventurer and the vampire met on various occasions. They got to know each other and started to work together. Their friendship grew quick but proved itself to be solid as they met with a few mishaps along the way and made it through every time. Though Gabe is happy-go-lucky in nature which leads many to underestimate him, he is also very smart and observant. It did not take long for him to realize that Enzo is not entirely normal. The vampire is clever and can normally easily fool others. But he met his match in Gabe. When confronted the vampire admitted to it and explained the supernatural to the Spaniard. Fascinated, the young man asked endless questions. The young man realized that Enzo's existence – the existence of all supernatural creatures – must be kept a secret and promised to never tell a soul.

Whilst on the hunt for a lost treasure Gabe was informed by an acquaintance about the excavation site in Jordan. Intrigued, he set off to investigate. Low and behold, the findings were interesting to say the least. Aware of the supernatural, he knew that something was off about the place. It was not of particular interest to him, but he knew that this could be something for Enzo.

The vampire made his way to closer to the tents and started compelling the workers. He followed Gabe into the cave. They walked for a while until reaching a seemingly non-descript chamber. Excited, Gabe just smirked with glee and approached a blank wall. Crouching down he brushed away some sand and pointed out a carving on the stone. Enzo took a closer look and was stunned at the detailed imagery. He lifted his hand, carefully touched the cold stone to follow its intricate depiction and as soon as he followed the swirly image a blinding light emitted from the stone.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

Quite some time has passed since Enzo's abrupt departure from Mystic Falls and Caroline is now facing one of her biggest dilemma's. May is fast approaching, more specifically, the fateful day of the party.

She never truly thought about this moment and merely focused on the big issues in the far future, so now that it was just around the corner, she felt unsure. Caroline never truly had any type of relationship with the Gilbert couple and when she came back, she stayed as far away as possible, knowing that Grayson Gilbert was actively supporting cutting up vampires in the name of science and treating them like cattle. The mere thought of his clandestine activities made her disgusted. Their death would be the catalyst for everything. Changing such a vital point it time could have unforeseen, maybe even catastrophic, consequences.