Chapter 2: No way home

George POV

George analyzed the building that he had been dragged to. It looked like an office building with white walls, sterile interior and had a cold feeling to it. George's dad and three other men had forced him into a car and driven him to the ominous place, where he now sat on a chair studying the men that had dragged him there. They were too far away for George to hear what they were saying. Still, their body language hinted that something wasn't right. For the first time, George realized that he didn't even know what his father worked with. Although he'd a feeling that it was something that he would find out shortly.

His father soon approached and gave him an eerie look. "So, George" his father began. Just the mere act of hearing his name being spoken by his dad was so out of place. George couldn't even recall the last time his father spoke his name. That his father even remembered it was impressive.

"I can't say that you and I have the closest relationships" his father continued. George just huffed in response. Understatement of the century

"But rather unfortunate events have forced me to rethink my life, and even though we're not that close–" His father didn't get to finish before George interrupted him.

He couldn't help it. It got his blood boiling at how nonchalantly and vaguely his dad spoke about the bizarre situation. "Not that close?! It's been seventeen years and we haven't said more than a handful of words to each other!" George yelled. However, he shortly after cussed himself for letting his feelings dictate his actions.

Though, instead of a verbal reply, George received a harsh slap to his face.

"You're way too much like your mother, letting your feelings cloud your judgment, it makes you weak." His father stated coldly.

George could feel the bruising on his face and the burning sensation behind his eyelids. However, he refused to give his father the satisfaction of seeing his tears. So instead, he tried to keep his voice steady and mirror his father's cold tone.

"Speaking of mom, where is she? Does she know that you practically kidnapped her son?"

"Oh, trust me George, your mother wouldn't even care if I killed you. Cause guess what? She left. " Sourness drenched his father's words. 

It took a couple seconds for the revelation to register in his brain, but then it hit what he'd just been told. She'd left him. After a couple minutes of trying to gather his thoughts, George finally managed to speak again.

"Where did she go?"

"Trust me, son, she has disappeared from the face of the earth." His father's words hung heavy in the air. George couldn't help but feel like it was his fault in some way. But he was careful not to show it, his face still ached from the punch and receiving another wouldn't exactly help.

Desperately trying to make sense of the situation, George decided to try and change the subject slightly.

"Then why did you bring me here? Why not leave me be like you've done for the past years?" George tried to make the words sound harsh, desperate for a reaction.

"Because I think it's time that we do some father-son bonding. Don't you agree?" The words hinted about something that awoke anxious feelings regarding the future.

His father continued. "It's time you get to know the truth, you're old enough to get involved. But we're gonna have to leave the place behind."

George stared at his father with a confused look, which made his father continue.

"Tonight, we're going to the City of Angels and you'll get to take part of your legacy."