Chapter 26: One step forward, two steps back

Dream POV

Dream was given no time to dwell before he was on his way to LA. He'd gotten a portfolio with information about his alibi. The fighting part about his mission didn't bother him the slightest. He knew that he was good at it, even killing people wouldn't be something that would keep him up at night. But everything else was terrifying. He was scared that he'd meet people he used to know, although he hoped that his old friends didn't hang out in these types of places.

He arrived at a barely functional apartment. Ms. Soot said that it was important to make sure that there was no loose ends to his cover and no one who was willing to risk their life illegally fighting others for money could afford a luxurious living space.

The apartment reeked of moldy walls, most likely caused by the way too humid air. It contained a bedroom with a double bed, which was a pleasant surprise, even though the shape of it was questionable. The kitchen was as plain and simple as is possible could get and the same went for the bathroom. Lastly was the living-room. It was connected to the kitchen and didn't contain much more than a beige sofa and a TV.

Dream slumped down on the sofa. Just being in back the city drained his energy. He'd been informed to be at the facility at around 10 pm. Because that's apparently when it was the most crowded. The secret source had given him coordinates to the place and it wasn't too far away from his apartment.

He decided to take a quick nap before his mission really began.

The darkness had taken its rightful place when he woke up. It wasn't long until he was commanded to make his way over there. His boss had informed him that this would most likely be his longest but most important mission. So, Dream estimated that the lovely apartment would be his home for at least a couple months. He already missed Patches but Wilbur had promised to take care of her.

It was 9:45 pm and Dream knew that it was time to begin. He kept the same outfit from the morning and grabbed the mask. The design was simple but looked rather terrifying. He put it over his face. It felt calming to have the mask, it would keep his true identity hidden, which he was very keen on keeping hidden. The knife was still strapped to his ankle. It wasn't like he would need it, but it was sort of reassuring just knowing that it was there.

The streets were empty and alarmingly quiet. The facility was located in an area that radiated illegal activities. Faint shoutings, laughs and just plain noise reached his ears. He knew that this must be the place. A metal door blocked the way. 

How the hell would he get in? Did he just knock?

But he didn't need to make that decision because the door flung open. A man who must've been in his forties greeted him with a bitter look.

"What do you want?" Cutting straight to the point. Dream had decided to keep his voice hidden for as long as possible, so he handed the man a paper the presented his request. The man's eyes darted between Dream and the note multiple times.

"I don't know how the fuck you got information about this place, Smiley. But you better get the hell away, you don't know what you're getting yourself into." Dream just stood there. He hadn't expected to be rejected, like why would they ever say no to someone that wanted to fight? The man was about the close the door when a familiar voice spoke. "Brian, what that fuck are you doing standing there like an idiot in the door?" 

The man, whose name apparently was Brian, turned around to face the one who'd addressed him. "It's just some stupid kid that wants to fight, Sapnap." 

Sapnap

That wasn't the name that Dream associated with that voice. But as Sapnap appeared, Dream's suspicions got confirmed. 

It was Nick.