Chapter 17: We're in this together

George POV

George heard the distress in the blonde's voice as his he answered the phone. 

After he got back from his time with Clay in the park, his dad had quickly grabbed him and questioned him about who he'd been with and what they'd been doing. George had done his best at dismissing it all and his dad dropped the interrogation after a while but his suspicion remained. However, it quickly changed when his dad announced that they were going to his work. George had guessed that it would be the same facility as last time, but it turned out that this night would contain something else. They arrived at an empty road. George was highly confused in the beginning, but all his question soon got answered. 

Him, his dad and his two bodyguards kept their distance as the sound of cars that, obviously lacked mufflers, took place on the road. It didn't take a genius to figure out that street racing was on the agenda.

Laughs, shouts and the smell of gasoline had filled the air. It hit George how happy all these people seemed to be despite being involved in some very illegal businesses.

George had never had much of an interest in cars but the striking colors of all the expensive cars and impressive driving skills that these people possessed were fascinating.

Though, his dad didn't allow him to admire the cars for long. After all, it was all just an introduction to what was supposed to become his life. They wasn't there for long and his dad explained how every race were rigged. He then proceeded explain how to rig them and how to make the most out of each race. It wasn't a detailed explanation, but the purpose was obviously to normalize this new world.

They got back in the middle of the night and that's when the phone rang.

"Hello?" Clay's voice rang through his head. "I'm sorry to bother you but I got no other place to go. My mom kicked me out and it looks like it's about to rain."

George knew his dad would kill him if he let another person into their house. However, he couldn't leave Clay like this. He knew he'd have to pay for it later, but it didn't matter right now. His dad had just dropped him off before going to some other unknown place. Still, George was paranoid. He didn't trust that his father didn't supervise him in any way, so some cautions had to be taken.

"Okay, just get here. But you'll have to climb in through the ladder outside my window or else my dad will kill me." A sigh of relief came from the other end of the call, followed by a silent "thank you".

George room wasn't luxurious but he doubted that Clay would mind. A text reached his phone not to long after their conversation ended. He figured that Clay was outside. So, he opened his window to poke his head out and he was met with the sight of a blooded and bruised boy. George indicated for him to start climbing and Clay followed his lead. The blonde boy was quick and managed to get into his room without any bigger issue. As soon as the initial shock was over, Clay began rambling apologies. His distress was showing both through his words and constant fidgeting with edge of his hoodie.

George felt helpless and Clay seemed completely off. He guided him to sit down on his bed but the rambling and fidgeting continued so George did the only thing he could think of. He grabbed the blonde's face and force Clay to focus on him before he pressed their lips together. Clay got completely still. George felt the metallic flavor as dried blood rubbed off on his own lips. George ended the kiss when he deemed Clay calm enough. He kept ahold of his face but backed away enough to study the blonde boy. Blood from small cuts stained his face. George even distinguished pieces of glass that was stuck in some cuts.

"What happened?" His voice no more than a whisper. Clay tried his best to brush it off. "Just my mom, bad night. I triggered her so I only have myself to blame" and gave George a weak smile. But George didn't buy it. However, questions would've to wait. He went to get a first aid kit from his bathroom. Back in England, cuts and wounds had been a daily thing, so he knew what to do.

He poured alcohol on a sterile compress and cleaned the wounds. He pulled out a tweezer. "I'm sorry, but this is gonna hurt." Clay winched as the glass was removed from the cuts.

After some cleaning and some bandages on the worst cuts, the situation started to calm down. Clay's energy was low and George told him to go sleep and that George would sleep on the floor so the he could rest. But Clay strongly objected. George finally caved after some bickering back and forth. He crawled down next to Clay, who'd changed to a t shirt and sweats that he'd brought with him in his backpack. George studied the blonde, who had closed his eyes, with a worried expression. This was a bizarre situation to say the least.

"Are you going to stare at me the entire night?" Clay asked with his eyes still closed.

"Why did you mom do this to you?" Clay opened his eyes and it was almost as though you could see his brain trying to come up with a believable lie until he gave up and sighed.

"Well, my dad died because he messed with the wrong people. He was addicted to gambling without me or my mother knowing. One day three men came to our house and executed my dad in front of me." Clay let out a humorless laugh. " I saw everything happen but did nothing to stop. I guess my mom never really forgave me for just giving up on my dad."

George was quiet for a moment. "She blames you for your dad's death?" Clay turned his head away. "Yeah, something like that. At least when she's drunk." His tone was sour.

George had until that point laid a bit away from Clay to not make him uncomfortable. But even George, who's emotional capacity was rather slim, could sense how deeply hurt Clay was as a result of his mother's accusation. He closed the distance and wrapped his arms around the taller boy's torso and placed his head on his chest. Clay froze for a moment but then melted into the touch. He pulled George even closer, with both his arms around George's back. George placed face in the crook of Clay's neck rubbed reassuring circles on the his chest. Clay's breathing got slowed down and it didn't take long for him to fall asleep.

However, George did not sleep much that night. Clay's dad had been involved in gambling and had to pay with his life. Sure, this was LA, a city filled with casinos and gambling. But George couldn't shake the fact that it was too much of a coincidence that his own dad wouldn't have been involved in the execution somehow.