Chapter 24: Time to let go

Clay POV

Clay, Nick and Karl followed the car that Clay had seen George get into. It wasn't a long drive and lead them to a spoky-looking warehouse. The three boy's were utterly confused. George's dad's voice kept ringing in Clay's head, but it was still impossible to place it. They kept a good distance in an attempt to not get caught. They made sure that everyone had entered the building before they dared to follow.

"What are they doing?" Nick whispered. Clay shrugged. He'd explained what he knew about George's dad to the other two while they'd followed the car. They'd all agreed that the man was shady. Clay also mentioned that the man had seemed familiar for some reason. Nick suggested that maybe it was just because he reminded him of George, but Clay wasn't convinced.

They managed to sneak in and hide far away to not be noticed. George looked confused and afraid as terrified screams echoed through the building. They were too far away to distinguish any details from the situation, but close enough to get a good overlook of the situation. George's dad turned to ask his son something. He then pulled out a silver colored object and that's when everything clicked in Clay's brain. George's dad had been the one to kill his own dad. It made him dizzy. George's dad definitely had a terrifying aura but it suddenly made sense why. He was the leader of LA's illegal gambling world. He was one of the men that the police said was untraceable and even if they found him it would've been impossible to pin the crime on him. Clay had hated the police for giving up on the investigation and he knew that the lack of closure was one of his mother's biggest issues in life.

He was snapped back to reality when two men grabbed George and threw him in the ring. Clay was about to run towards them to help, but Nick must've sensed it, because he put a hand on Clay's chest to force him to stay down.

The man on the other side was thrown into the boxing ring as well and right there's when hell broke lose. Everything happened so quickly. George's dad announced that the man owed him money but could prove himself by fighting his son. He held a short speech before commanding them to start fighting.

All three stared in horror. George was not getting out of this alive, but not even his dad seemed to care. 

That's when a memory reappeared in Clay's mind. A woman had approached him when he and his mom had gotten the news that the investigation was being closed down. He'd been so broken that he'd forgotten most of what she'd said. However, he remembered one thing. She'd handed him her number if any more information would come up. He didn't think much of it back then. But he'd kept the number saved in his contacts for some reason.

He didn't hesitate for long, figuring that George couldn't hold on forever. A cool, female voice answered.

"CIA: Special activities center. How may I help you?"

"My name's Clay Johnson. I got this number a while ago after my father's execution. I'm currently in the same facility as the man who killed my dad."

"Are you sure that you have the right number?" The woman sounded skeptical.

"Yes! Look up my name in your stupid fucking computer base if you don't believe me. But you have to get here, it might be your only chance to track down the underground gambling activities that I was informed was one of your primary targets!"

Another female, British voice could be heard on the other end. "Who is it Margarete?" 

"Someone named Clay Johnson, Ms. Soot" It went quiet for a while until the British woman must've taken the phone and started talking. "Good evening, Clay." 

She was just as he remembered her, unsettling calm and calculated. "Please, Ms. You told me to call you if I ever found out anything more regarding the case, and I swear to God that's it's him." She got quiet. Clay dared himself to look in George's direction, it wasn't looking too promising. 

"Please! You have to believe me! He's about to kill his own son." Those words seemed to reach through to the woman. 

"Okay, we'll send a team." Relief washed over him. "Thank you!" The call quickly ended and all they could do now was wait.

George had managed to escape and was aiming for a knife, but so was the other man.

Please, please, please stay alive George! I need you!

But George's luck must've run out because he was once again being captured by his opponent who was having both his hands wrapped around his throat. George still held the knife but even though Clay was far away, he could see that the brunette's grip was getting weaker and weaker. 

C'mon George!

It felt like forever but then loud shoutings echoed through the building and over 50 people were suddenly entering the building. Everyone stopped in their tracks. The people were disguised in black armor, accompanied by every weapon known to man. Everyone expect George and George's dad was killed instantly. They then surrounded George's dad. George himself laid unconscious, maybe even dead. With the other man laying dead on top of him. Clay wanted to run over to the brunette but was held back by one of the many people.

The British woman that he'd just talked to stepped forward, removing her black helmet. She looked basically the same as the last time he saw her. Her brown curly hair and brown eyes hadn't changed a bit and her composed expression was the exact same. George's father seemed to recognize her straight away.

"You."

She smiled. "Yes, Mr. Davidson." That was also the last words they spoke to each other before she pulled a gun and quickly fired it against the man's head.

Clay, Nick and Karl all stared in a mix of disgust and horror. But the woman showed no remorse.

Panic spread once more. Clay was desperately trying to get to George but was ultimately stopped by the woman. "Clay. You and I got a lot to talk about and I'm going to give you an offer. But we'll have to leave this place first." 

They started leading him away, but he refused. "I won't leave without George." The woman's expression hardened. "That boy got no pulse and might as well already be dead." He felt like he was going to faint. 

George was dead

It was as if all his willpower stopped existing and he let the unfamiliar people pull him out of the facility He shot Nick and Karl one last glance. Their faces mirrored his own mess of emotions; shock, terror and fear.

Little did he know that this would be the last time he would see his friends in many years.