Chapter 39: Until the very end

Dream POV

The little note inside the knife-holder contained coordinates on one side and a handwritten letter on the other side. Dream was too much of an emotion mess to read any suicide-note from George, but he kept the paper and searched the coordinates. It led him to a place located on Barbados. It must've been George way to guide him to a better place. In any other case, running off to a tropical island just because you found a paper with coordinates that pointed that way, sounded like something a crazy person would do. Yet, that was what Dream was going for.

His plan was as followed; go back to Virginia, get Patches and a few essentials, and collect the money from his mission. He dreaded having to face his boss again, but he hoped that it would be for the last time.

His mind wondered to his friends and what happened to them. It struck him that maybe he should text them, but it was like he was reliving that day when he thought that he'd lost George five years ago. His body refused to even look at Sapnap's contact information.

An unknown number popped up on his screen. Dream debated whenever to answer or not, but swiped 'Accept' after a while.

"Who's this?" He had no time for formalities.

"Dream, it's me, Wilbur. I'm just checking to see how you are and if you need a way to get back to the headquakers?" Wilbur sounded the same way as he always did, which pissed him off for some reason. Maybe it was that slightly nonchalant tone, despite everything that had happened, that angered him. But Wilbur's offer was out of kindness, he knew that. Plus, he needed a way to get back.

"Yeah, sure." Was all he cared to answer.

"Great! A private jet will be arriving tonight, so I'll send you the address to the airport." Wilbur hung up before Dream could reply. The promised address popped up. It would take a while to get there so Dream chose to call a taxi. The park looked ghostly, and his mood got worse every moment he spent there. So, might as well pass time at the airport.

The taxi driver made an attempt at small-talk, but Dream had no desire to have a conversation with anyone at this point. They arrived at a small airport and Dream chose a bench as far away from everyone as he could, to sit down. The sky darkened and that's when Dream spotted two people walking towards him. One of them was clearly Wilbur but the other one was more surprising. Wilbur's companion was no other than Tommy, his younger brother and the younger was holding a box in his arms.

Dream furrowed his brows. "Oi, big man! Look who likes me more than you now!" Tommy shouted across half the airport. Despite his horrible mood, Dream felt how the corners of his mouth tipped upwards when he saw what Tommy was carrying.

The two brother got closer and Wilbur indicated for Tommy to hand over the box. Tommy frowned but obeyed. Dream carefully took the box and unlocked the hooks so Patches could get out. She was a little hesitant in the beginning but after she figured out who it was, she let Dream pick her up. She curled up into a ball in his arms and her soft purring mended a piece of his very broken heart.

He forced his eyes to look up at the brothers. Both were smiling at him.

"It's really kind of you to bring her here and I'm not saying this to be ungrateful, but I would've seen her tonight anyways."

Wilbur cleared his throat as he pushed a suitcase closer towards Dream.

"I have a feeling that you're not so fond of that place, so you'll be going to a little warmer one instead." Wilbur said with a mysterious smile as he pulled out a ticket from the pocket of his jacket and handed it over to Dream.

Dream furrowed his brows once again as he took it.

Could it be...

"I'm just passing these on, but I think you'll discover that they'll lead you to a place that you might already know about." Wilbur said and his eyes told Dream that he'd been right. It was a plane-ticket to the place where the coordinate led.