Chapter 36: The fight

Dream POV

Those words made the brunette come back from his sleepy state.

"What's going on?"

As soon as those words had left Dream's mouth, he started to regret his entire existence. The earlier so peaceful moment was suddenly nowhere to be found.

He didn't know how to introduce the subject. 

Should he just be completely transparent and try to defend himself against the inevitable attack? 

George wasn't stupid, so lying didn't feel like much of a choice.

"You know that this can't go on, right? People are getting hurt, murdered, put in danger constantly. Mine and Techno's fight must be the last one."

George sat up; his eyes still glued on Dream. His gaze lacked all kind of former warmth and love. Still, the brunette didn't defend himself. So, Dream continued.

"George, you must understand. It's just a matter of time before any of you get seriously injured or even dies."

"Why are you telling me this? Do you really think I'm that naïve? Do you think that I don't know how it will end? Because I promise you, I do. And so does Sapnap, and Karl, and Quackity. Everyone's painfully aware of the faith the comes with the choices we've made."

Dream threw his hands up in defeat. "Then explain your reasoning, please! Because you've chosen it all by yourself."

George cut him off and his rage was just barely contained at this point. "There was never a choice! You know damm well what type of monster my dad was. Do you actually believe he left me with a choice? It wasn't out of the kindness of his heart that he let me move with him. He always had a plan behind his decisions." George did an active try to hide the anger but failed.

Still, Dream couldn't completely wrap his head around George's reasoning. "There's always a choice, you could've run away!" George stood up from the bed, fully alert at Dream's every move.

"Oh, but that's where you're wrong, Mr. Runaway-from-my-problems. There was never a choice. You might never understand my reasoning for what I've done. I honestly don't expect you to, and I don't care! I did what I had to."

"You can't expect me to understand if you refuse to even tell me your motives. Not only is your life in danger, but everyone who's any sort of connection is constantly risking their lives. Do you even care? Why would you stay in something that most likely will get all of you an early ticket to your graves?" Dream bit back. He was annoyed at how close-minded George appeared to be surrounding the subject. However, he probably crossed a line because the brunette's expression turned ice cold.

"I hope you win, get your reward and find yourself the life that you long for, Dream." In another context, it may have sounded like George was wishing him good luck. But in this context, it more appeared as a harsh goodbye, a goodbye that wasn't up for debate.

"George, please – " Dream tried, but the brunette was already on his way out of the room. A loud bang that made the walls shiver, was heard as the bedroom door was slammed shut. The silence that followed was deafening. Dream realized that he was still in George's bedroom and guessed that the brit must return sooner or later.

-----------------------

However, that assumption would show itself to be completely wrong. As a matter of fact, George wasn't seen for the days that followed either.

Time flew by. But George didn't as much as open the front door. Dream had asked Sapnap if he'd any idea where the brunette might've gone. But Sapnap was just as clueless. Although he assured Dream that George had a tendency to disappear for long periods of time just to show up one day as if nothing had happened. Yet, Dream couldn't shake the bad feeling that constantly lingered in the back of his mind.