chapter 15 | head in the clouds

I sit in the passenger seat, with my head propped against the window sill, and ever so often, when the wheels of the Volkswagen roll over a bump on the road, it jostles me.
I'm reading, unable to glue my eyes off the page, which strain due to the lack of sufficient light, not caring if my head hits the glass a couple of times.

The main character and dark love interest are about to have their heated moment, and the tension is unbearable.
I chew on my lip, eyes scanning the page with absolute anticipation.

"Why are you're hands balled up in fists, Cami?" Mari asks, outstretched on the bed.

I break my view with the page, looking at my hands. "Oh," I mutter, relaxing them. I look back at Mari and Alexi who watch me. "I was at an exciting part, now don't bother me."

I look back then glance again for a moment at Jamie. He's sketching with gentle strokes and I'm suddenly curious as to what he's drawing.

He looks up and I shoot him a curious look, to which he raises his eyebrows. I turn away, roll my eyes, and continue reading.

"I'm so bored," Alexi murmurs.

Mari nods, "Why don't you read to us?"

I widen my eyes, imagining the awkward air that would wash over us if I did.
"Um I really don't know about that, it's kind of boring." I shake my head with a forced smile.

Jamie looks up at me smirking, almost mischievously, "Oh definitely."

My expression drops and I just look at him. I can feel my face turning red as he devours me with his knowing eyes.

"Oh come on, it can't be that boring," says Alexi, furrowing his brows.

"It is," I state.

Mari laughs, seeming to understand, but doesn't say anything.

Alexi grins now, "Wait a minute...what are you reading?"

"It's romance," I say.

Alexi laughs again, "You're reading sex, aren't you?"

"No!" I shriek. They all narrow their eyes, "Not yet at least..." I add.

Jamie laughs and I bite my lip with a repressed smile.

"Just use my headphones and listen to some music," I say.

"Alright." he decides as I hand him my headphones.

Alexi places them over his ears, grinning as he plugs the cord into the small socket. He leans his head back against the headrest, pressing the play button.

He scrunches his nose together, "You understand this? Is it French?"

"Yes, it's french. I understand a tiny bit, but I kinda pick it up the more I listen." I furrow my brows, "Is it that bad?"

"Not bad..." he says carefully, "But it's not my type."
He holds the player closer to his face, observing the buttons, pressing a few.
"Rap. Rap is much, much better."

"Oh, well, fine why didn't you just say so?"

He smiles, closing his head and bopping his head up and down.

I turn back around, pushing Jamie's glasses up my nose, which slides down as they're much too big.

Looking now at the road, the landscape has changed slightly, more buildings like the motel appearing here and there, brush-covered plains slowly fading into town. Darkness gently enveloped the whole scene.