chapter 19 | stiff and impatient

I glance to my right and Alexi's beaming, paddling around in the water in a fashion that makes it look as though it's simpler than walking.

Jamie sits on the sand, once again sketching in his journal.

I wonder if he drawing me again—or scribbling all of my drawn faces out in thick charcoal.

I think he still likes being around me but we both can't stand the tension between us.
He's so confusing.

He looks up at me and I quickly turn my head. "Who taught you how to swim?" I ask Lex.

His grin fades slightly into a blank look, "Uh, my mom." He looks down. "She just threw me into the water and I had to learn, I guess."

I try to mask my shock, mom? I suppose it makes sense as Valentina didn't birth him of course.

He looks up, "I can teach you like that, no?"

I laugh, "You wish." I say, attempting to swim beside him.

I do okay, well enough for me to survive, I think.

He smiles, "Well you got it. Now lets go to the deeper end."

"Pft sure," I say sarcastically then realize he's serious, "oh, okay,"

"Don't worry, if I let you drown, Jamie would probably skin me alive." he says.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask, raising my brows.

"Shit, he totally loves you." he says, lowering his voice to just barely a whisper, "I'm a little jealous."

I tilt my head, "No he doesn't,"

"Okay, okay," his lips are pressed tightly as he observes me.

I start to swim, yearning dearly to change the subject, stroking further into the water till I can only reach on my tip toes.

Alexi follows me, standing way taller than me with his added height.

I grab onto his arm for stability, kicking my feet to stay afloat.

I look back at Jamie on the shore, who's head is lifted up, looking in our direction.

I bite my lip to cover up the grin that threatens to overtake my face.

I hope he's jealous.

"Are you using me to make him jealous?" Alexi asks, his once cheery disposition turning gloomy.

I open my mouth but no denial comes out. Instead I shake my head weakly.

"Oh," he says. He looks at me a second more, "it's not okay, but okay."

I look down at the water and hear him add, "So you do love him."

I furrow my brows now, "I don't think so."

"But you like him, no?" his accent especially taints his words now, as he drawls them out carefully.

"Yeah," I manage. We're both now looking back at Jamie.