Chapter 20

All these voices in my head get loud
And I wish that I could shut them out
I'm sorry that I let you down
Oh, let you down

Adelaide pushed her food around her plate. Her body was at the dinner table with everyone else, but her mind was on another plane.
Ezekiel had finally come home from his work trip. He had not stepped out of the hallway before he was bombarded with Adelaide hugging the life out of him. 'She had really missed him' he thought.
He simply squeezed her back with as much force before kissing her temple and letting go.

He noticed she wasn't eating any of the food on her plate. She was merely moving it around.
"Lainy, are you ok?" He asked her
Adelaide merely nodded her head, but didn't look up.
Something was wrong. Something had gone terribly wrong in the days he was gone.

Looking up at James he mouthed the question of what happened.
James merely mouthed back one word.

Noah.

Before Ezekiel could ask, Adelaide excused herself from the table. Leaving a practically untouched plate of food. Noah didn't react to it. Adaline was smiling the entire time, noticing Adelaide's sombre state and when she left the room in more sadness and Noah not commenting on it, Adaline's smile grew even larger. But this did not go unnoticed by James and Ezekiel.

And it especially did not escape Lemuel's eyes. Something was going on and he was determined to find out.
Lemuel was not home a lot. He was rather quiet and for good reason, reasons Ezekiel knew about. Ezekiel had the same problem. Their other half were not welcome in the house. Lemuel was mostly with his boyfriend. Adaline had shamed him for it, saying he wasn't man enough.

Truth be told, Adaline had nothing against gay people. She just had something against the people dating her brothers. It didn't matter if they were male or female. Just like Emily.

"So what did I miss?" Ezekiel asked. Everything went quiet. No one was speaking up which only furthered Adaline's smile. She had everyone on her side and no one would stand on Adelaide's side.
"Mason King came by." Lemuel answered.
Ezekiel's eyes grew. "Yeah, Apparently our little sis has connections." Lemuel started with a sly grin.
Before Ezekiel could question it, Lemuel already answered his thoughts.

"The beautiful new car outside is what he came to deliver to her. Apparently it was a present from his Aunt Becca."
Like a light bulb, Ezekiel made the connection that Rebecca Sinclair was a part of the French Mafia. Sinclair in French was St. Clair. He wondered if Adelaide knew this. Well she was the conductor, so the chances of her not knowing were slim.
As Lemuel started to walk a way, he signed for Ezekiel to follow.

In hushed tones he told Ezekiel that Adelaide and Noah had talked and it ended up in yelling and Adelaide crying. Ezekiel merely nodded at him and went off in search of Adelaide.

Finding her in her room, he simply entered.
"Don't know how to knock?" Adelaide asked softly.
"You knew it would be me, knocking simply seemed otiose." He shrugged.
This made Adelaide smile. He gave her the same line she gave their father.
"I heard Rebecca gave you a present. Let's take her for a spin." He said smiling.
"It's a 'Him'. It will be a devil on wheels with me driving it." She smirked. Ezekiel could see a twinkle come back to her eyes.
He knew that with the right guidance and positive attention, she would thrive again.
"I will see you downstairs in ten minutes. I'm going to change and then we can go for a devil-spin."

With that he walked out of her room into his own. He hadn't been in his room yet and quickly discovered that in the days he was gone, Adelaide had completely taken over. Shirts that probably had his scent on it were in the hamper to be washed. She had probably worn them to bed. And his entire bed smelled of Honeysuckle and coffee. Adelaide's natural scent. She had basically camped out in his room the past week. That made him chuckle. Happy to be of service.