Chapter 35

If you want love, you gon' have to go through the pain
If you want love, you gon' have to learn how to change
If you want trust, you gon' have to give some away
If you want love, if you want love

Everything was hazy.
She barely felt anything, which was something she revelled in. Her body had finally become numb.
She no longer felt the excruciating pain that came from her wrist, arms and shoulders.
She no longer found the throbbing of her hip bone. She no longer felt the painful blood leaking wound on her abdomen.
She deliciously felt nothing anymore.
Adelaide was in a complete state of serenity.
No more pain, no more nerves that were about to put a hit out on her heart to stop the increasing stimuli that they could do nothing but emit.
She only felt the soft outline of something on her face. She felt her own breath on the skin around her mouth. Adelaide didn't understand, but at that moment did not care.
Her ears weren't really paying attention to her surroundings as she thought she heard some kind of talk among people, before something echoed in rhythm away from her. She felt the light prickles of stimuli of her nerves around the base on one of her hands but for the love of all couldn't tell which hand it was.
It didn't matter, everything went hazy just moments later until it was silent again.
Perfect silence.
Just the dark and nothing more, nothing less.
Perfect silence

But before Adelaide could be taken away by the silence once more, her eyelids let in a bit of light.
Not much, her eyelids were still holding back most of it, which according to the darkness around her wasn't much, but still. It was filtering out most.
Adelaide unconsciously turned her eyes towards the light without opening her eyes, her ears starting to work little by little again. She could hear the soft hum of a monitor. But luckily that was all, no pain, no stimuli attacking her system. She was probably at a waypoint before going on to the next life.
Adelaide was currently in a state of complete and utter serenity. A state she did not wish to leave.

"That's it, mon coeur, come back to me." Mon coeur? Why does that sound so familiar?
Slightly opening her eyes, she saw a hazy figure that suddenly smiled. His teeth stood out from his complexion and were easy to pinpoint. But that face was one she would never forget. So she gave off a small smile.
"I'm in heaven." Adelaide murmured out softly, making it hard for others to hear with the mask she had on. The man chuckled.
"You are not in heaven, mon coeur."
"Then I thank Karma for bringing me to you in hell, my twilight." Her voice became louder but still very soft and hoarse.
"No, ma lune, you are still alive on earth." He replied.
Adelaide stopped talking but kept looking at him, the man she had not seen in years, but still remembered so vividly. Her 'Matthew'.
But as she registered what he said her eye gave off a tear.

"Why..." she croaked out. She had made her peace with life. She had been content with dying. She had accepted all and yet she was still here. So why? Why was she still alive when all she wanted was to cease to exist, when all she wanted was to die?
"Because I am selfish, mon coeur, from the day I met you, even with you being so young, I could not get you out of my head or heart. I cannot let go of you. The simple memory of you, the smile you give off is enough to melt my cold exterior. You are mon coeur, my heart. You have had it from the moment we met even if I didn't realise it. I could not let you rest in peace. I am so selfish to want you in my entire life that I helped save you instead of adhering to your inner wishes of wanting to die. Know that I am not leaving. Not now, not ever. I will be with you every step if you will have me. You may be mad at me and angry, you may curse me out and hurt me physically and mentally, as long as I have you, I am more than content." He ended with a smile.

"Cheeky pervert." Adelaide wanted to reply with more, to tell him that it was a beautiful heartfelt speech, but that he was inherently stupid for saying that to someone he had only met once. But she didn't. He was her twilight, he had been her safety when the world was too cold to care for her. She felt safe in his presence, in his arms even for the small moment that was gifted. She wanted to get to know her twilight over again. So she simply smiled and closed her eyes, yet again surrendering to the darkness temporarily. She knew when she'd wake up again he would still be there. Protecting her from the painful and harsh world surrounding her.