Chapter Eight

My head was swimming. I felt that warm feeling in the back of my throat like I was about to throw up. I tried to maneuver myself through the room and out of the door as quickly and quietly as possible, hoping that no one noticed me leaving.

I leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor, hanging my head in between my knees, trying to get a grip. Heart pounding, I tried to rationalize what I just saw.

It couldn't be her, could it? She would have told me, right? No... she probably wouldn't.

I wondered if that was why she was always so weird about me going out in the field. Had she been a support professional? Did she catch Horikawa's eye with her quirk? How badly did he hurt her?

If I asked her about it... would she even tell me the truth?

Questions circled in my head like water circling a drain. No end in sight. No resolution. I hadn't realized I had company until I heard someone clear their throat roughly from above. I looked up, Bakugo.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Not really..." I said, wincing at the broken sound of my own voice, fighting back tears and the vomit that threatened to make its presence known; anxiety twisting my gut with violence.

He sat down beside me, looking ahead of himself at the wall on the opposite side of the too bright hallway.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, voice low out of concern for my privacy as well as disturbing the meeting.

"I wouldn't even know where to start.. I-I think one of those victims was my mom..." I practically whispered, not even sure if he could hear me, or if I wanted him to.

His head snapped toward me out of shock, "Are you sure? How do you know?"

"I'm not sure... she doesn't really talk about her past, I just know it was something traumatic. But one of those girls really looked like her... I'm certain it was her. I don't know why, it just... clicked for me," I explained, staring at my shaking hands dangling between my knees.

Bakugo sighed heavily, not knowing what to say. After a long pause he broke the silence to ask if I planned on talking to her about it.

"I don't know," I said honestly. It felt like I didn't know anything...

"You should tell them, Shoto and the commissioner. If Horikawa had an interest in your mom's quirk in the past, you could be a target, especially with how much you were in the news yesterday," Bakugo said seriously.

I nodded in response, starting to feel the gravity of my situation. But then my mischievous side processed his words more, wanting to lighten the mood a little.

"Were you reading up on me, Bakugo?" I asked, a smirk painting my face.

"Tch, No!" He shouted defensively, looking away. I swear I saw a slight blush rise to his cheeks. "I-I just... saw the articles all over the place. You can't go anywhere online without reading about that shitty half and half bastard and his new little girlfriend."

"Well I'm not his girlfriend, regardless of what Endeavor wants," I said, rolling my eyes. "But thanks for looking out for me, Bakugo. I'm gonna take your advice."

I was feeling determined now. Determined to help the heroes deliver the punishment Horikawa deserves. Determined to talk to my mom and get the truth about her past.

I wasn't just talking about Bakugo's advice regarding telling Shoto and the commissioner. I more so meant his advice from last night: I was going to be powerful. I was going to avenge my mother.