Chapter Thirteen

TW: NSFW ;)

My usually empty phone was filled with calls and texts, everyone checking to see if I was awake yet and okay. Eri, Mina, Aizawa, even people I didn't necessarily expect like Midoriya. Hitoshi's name was notably absent. I sat on my couch, lights off to dull my headache, wondering if I should send him a text.

Me, 1:48 pm:
hi, im alive. wanna talk?

Hitoshi, 1:49 pm:
can i come over now?

Me, 1:49 pm:
sure

I had a feeling this conversation wasn't going to go well. I wanted Hitoshi and I to work, and I really didn't want to lose him as a friend. But I was mad at him for ignoring me and shutting me out when we promised to try to work on things.

I made some tea for the both of us and checked my email while I waited for him to arrive.

Nishimura
Subject: Temporary Suspension of Duties

"Uggggh," I groaned aloud, dragging a hand down my face. It's not like I was surprised. Heroism wasn't rewarded at the Endeavor Agency, only following orders and chasing fame. The content of Nishimura's email basically stated that due to my "unsanctioned actions and insubordination" I would be on unpaid leave for two weeks. Upon my return there would be a meeting regarding my "future at the agency."

So, basically, they had me in a holding pattern. I was expected to wait two weeks to find out if I even got to keep my job? All because I saved someone's life. You would think I had murdered someone. Unbelievable. At least I had been unconscious for most of the first week.

My fingers tapped in frustration against the arm of my couch as I sipped my tea and waited for Hitoshi. My patience was already wearing thin, which was not exactly conducive to a productive conversation.

He showed up about 20 minutes later, wearing dark wash skinny jeans, Vans, and a Thrasher hoodie. His dark circles looked darker than usual. He did manage to get a haircut since the battle, though. An undercut. It annoyed me to admit that he looked really good.

We sat down across from each other at the table again. It took a long time before either of us spoke.

"I'm glad you're okay," he said.

"Me too," I joked back weakly, trying to suppress the annoyance in my tone.

Silence again. It lasted a while. I sipped my tea, unwilling to give him the satisfaction of starting the conversation after he had ignored me for so long. Even when I texted him to tell him that I had a plan for getting out from under Endeavor's thumb, it was radio silence. Why should I be the one to make the first move yet again?

"Do you think there's a path forward for us?" he finally asked.

I sighed, of course he went right to the point. "Probably not."

"Why?"

How do I put this gently? I thought to myself. "I don't think our timing is right. I don't think we've been good for each other, at all. We were really good friends, and I don't want to lose that by trying to fit two puzzle pieces together that don't fit. If we keep trying to make it work, I don't think there'll be much left to salvage. Do you get what I'm saying?"

His jaw clenched, but he nodded.

"Is it Bakugo?" he asked directly, tension lacing his tone.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"Are you in love with Bakugo?"

"No, I'm not in love with Bakugo. Frankly there were a lot of things that were fucked up about our relationship, if you could even call it that," I snapped back, getting angry.