An Unexpected Visitor

A few weeks had passed since the wonderful night of the Bonfire Ball, November was turning into December and radio silence was the only term appropriate to describe any further interaction the bookshop owner had with her Red Queen. The lack of a mobile phone really put a damper on being able to contact her at leisure and she was unsure how else to do so unless she accidentally bumped into the mad hatter on the street one day. Hermione didn't want to appear desperate to contact the older woman but she felt this magnetic pull she couldn't describe. The town was transitioning from autumn decoration to a winter wonderland. Fairy lights, tinsel, trees, inflatable Santas and other holiday themes were popping up and down the business lined street. Henry had arrived at the Rose early one Sunday morning to hang lights around the outside lining the windows and doors. Hermione woke up to the sound of a nail gun. Startled, she threw on her robe and ran down the stairs, throwing open the door and breathing a sigh of relief when she saw her grandfather standing on a small ladder, a string of lights hanging from his teeth.

"Good morning sunshine," came the muffled greeting of Henry. He must have been at this for a while because the tip of his nose had turned a shade of pink. "Hope you don't mind, I couldn't help but start decorating. It was always your grandmother's favorite time of year." He pulled the lights from his teeth and placed the strand on top of the ladder, smiling broadly knowing his granddaughter wouldn't mind.

"It's 8 in the morning, papa. Surely our neighbors might have some opposition to the nail gun," she peered outside the door looking down the street.

"Non-sense, they know it's to be expected. Plus, it's Sunday. Most of these folks are already headed to church." He picked the lights back up and stapled a few more times, completing the outline of the first window. "Now, why don't you go put on something warm, make us some coffee and come out here and help."

Hermione stood and thought for a minute. It was awfully cold outside but she loved Christmas more than anything. She sighed and relented, "okay, give me ten minutes."

The pair spent the entire morning decorating the outside of The English Rose, drinking coffee and laughing, reminiscing of Christmases past. "Grandma would love this," Hermione said, taking a step back and looking at the lights around the shop. Henry came over and pulled her into his side, kissing the top of her beanie covered head and hummed in agreement. The supplies that were discarded from the decorating process were promptly returned to the basement of the shop. After a mug of cocoa, the elder Granger took his leave for the day, leaving his granddaughter to open the shop a little later in the afternoon. It was nice owning the shop and being able to open at her leisure. The shop was hardly ever busy on Sundays so it was a more relaxed setting. Usually Ginny came by with Harry but this particular Sunday, nobody visited. Hermione took the quiet as a reason to escape downstairs to her cozy spot to read a new thriller that had just come in when she heard the shop door chime. "I'll be up in a minute," Hermione assured the new patron while returning her bookmark. Her head shot up when she heard footsteps descending into the lower level. Shock was the emotion she felt when she looked up and saw the pink haired mad hatter climbing down the stairs with a smirk on her face.

"So, this is where you hide. I never see you on the streets or around town. It's like you don't want to be found by anyone," she walked over and stood directly in front of the brunette.

"Hello? Dora right?" Hermione held her hand out and was just a touch surprised when the other woman shook it in return.

"Dora?" She laughed. "Yes I suppose you could call me that. Most people call me Tonks, but Dora seems appropriate for now."

"So is it a family trait that everyone speaks in riddles?" Hermione rolled her eyes, releasing the other woman from the hand shake.

"I'm just fucking with you. I've been meaning to come in for a while just never got a chance to. We get a lot of work over at the salon and mum keeps me busy at all times." Dora smiled at the younger woman. "Plus, I was just testing a theory. My aunt was right. You are cute when you blush."