The Bella Monologue

Hermione hadn't spoken to her girlfriend in a few days so when she showed up at The English Rose looking tired and sad she wasn't quite sure what to expect but a feeling of uneasiness settled in her stomach. "Hi," she offered a small greeting to her girlfriend and stepped aside so Bella could enter.

"Hi," Bella said, pulling her girlfriend into a hug. Being in Hermione's arms, smelling her shampoo, feeling loved, it all had an immediate calming effect on the older warm. "I've missed you," she whispered quietly when she turned her head to smell Hermione's neck.

"I've missed you too," Hermione hugged her tighter because she felt at that moment that Bella needed it. "You look beautiful today," she pulled back to get a look at her girlfriend. Yes, her eyes looked very tired but they were sparkling.

"No," Bella blushed, "but thank you."

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked with a tone of concern.

"No," Bella let a small sad smile crest her face. "But I will be. Hermione, we need to talk."

Those four words sent Hermione's stomach up into her throat. All of a sudden the room felt too small and in return so did she. The relationship barely had time to get off the ground and now she was certain that her girlfriend had come over to end things with her. "Okay," she said barely above a whisper but her face spoke louder than any words she could articulate in that moment.

Seeing the worry cross Hermione's face sent Bella into her own moment of worry, "it's nothing like that," she whispered back. "I'm honestly not even sure where to begin but this definitely needs to be a sitting down type of conversation. Maybe," she looked upstairs and downstairs to see if there were any customers. When she was certain they were alone she continued, "maybe we can go to the book room downstairs? Would it be okay if you closed up the shop for this?"

Hermione stared at the older woman. Yes, she did look tired and scared. "Sure," she walked a few steps to the door, opened it and flipped the open sign over before closing it back up and locking it. "After you," she smiled at Bella waiting for her to lead the way. The older woman nodded and made her way down the stairs and started pacing as soon as she got downstairs. "Bella?"

Hermione came up behind her and touched her shoulder, she stopped pacing and turned to face the younger woman. "Maybe you should have a seat," she pointed to Hermione's comfy chair.

"Are you going to sit down as well?" Hermione was starting to get scared about whatever was about to happen.

"I'm not sure how to do this. I've actually done this so many times with so many different people but never with someone who has meant anything to me," she started pacing again, "and you do, Hermione. You mean a great deal to me."

Hermione was shifting uncomfortably in her chair, "Bella," she said calmly, "just start at the beginning. Whatever it is, just start talking." She tried to sound as reassuring as possible because she didn't know where this would go but she was determined to listen to everything she had to say.

"Okay," Bella sighed and wiped her hand down her face. "Have you heard of the Black Family?" Hermione's eyes widened slightly before she controlled them and shook her head yes. "Ahh well that makes this a little easier I suppose," she started pacing again, "let me properly introduce myself.  I'm Bellatrix Black." She stopped pacing and looked at the woman sitting in the chair, "I don't know if it's a good sign that you haven't already pushed me out yet or not."

"Bella?"  Hermione said softly, her voice turning up into a question. "Just start at the beginning. I'm listening."

Bella nodded, "when you came over to my house, I'm sure you noticed that one side of the house looked different than the rest. Almost new?" She saw Hermione nod, "that's because when I was 23 I set that side of the house on fire." She didn't stop to look at Hermione. "Since you know the last name I'm guessing you already knew that part of the story," Hermione bit her lip but nodded, shifting once again in her chair. Bella had noticed every little movement the younger woman was making. "What the stories, headlines, and television reporters never mentioned was the years of undocumented torture and abuse my sisters and I went through that led up to that night. Shall I go on?" She saw the slightest nod from the other person in the room before she sighed and kept talking, "our father was," she started pacing again, "honestly there isn't a word horrible enough to describe that man. Mother was no better. She sat by and watched everything. Never trying to stop him. Can I show you something?" She waited for a head nod before she lifted her shirt up to her bra line and slowly turned around so Hermione could see the entire canvas. The brunette gasped at the scars and myriad of old wounds adorning the pale skin. Bella's skin told a story of abuse like Hermione had never seen before. She had her scars as well but Bella's scars were the work of years of torture.