The First Date

A beautiful fresh blanket of snow lined the ground, the town was buzzing with holiday cheer. Stores were closing early and families were out walking around looking at all of the Christmas lights decorating the various shops. The English Rose had only been open until noon on Christmas Eve because this night was the bookshop owner's first date with her peculiar letter writer. She couldn't believe the day was finally here. No details of what awaited her this evening left her a little frazzled about what to wear so she decided on festive casual. She had on a pair of dark washed jeans and a Christmas jumper. She thought it was cute enough for a first date; she just hoped they weren't going anywhere with a dress code. "Maybe I should text her," Hermione thought while biting her lower lip.

>2:45pm
What's the dress code for tonight?

>2:47pm
Umm... casual? Wear whatever you want. I'm sure you will look amazing.

>2:48pm
Well I have on a pair of jeans, heeled boots and a Christmas knitted jumper and I didn't want to look out of place.

>2:50pm
Send a picture.

Hermione rolled her eyes but ran up the stairs to her apartment and quickly took a full body mirror pic. She had her hair down, wavy and over one shoulder, and her head was peeking out from the left side of her phone with her tongue sticking out. "Good enough," she laughed and pushed the send button. Soon the three dots were flashing at the bottom of the message.

>2:54pm
As I thought, cute as hell. Don't you even think about changing.

>2:55pm
A picture for a picture, Bella. What are you wearing?

Hermione made her way back downstairs to finish rearranging the books, starting the grueling process of removing the holiday books and placing new displays for the upcoming year. A few minutes had passed with radio silence. When a ding sounded Hermione pulled her phone from her back pocket and her jaw dropped. The photo was of Bella, standing in front of the mirror with a fluffy white bath towel wrapped around her middle, long curly hair half dried and she was smirking into the camera.

>3:04pm
Is this what you were looking for, Hermione? ;) I'm not quite as ready as you.

>3:06pm
Sorry I forgot how to breathe for a moment. If you wear that I'm afraid we wouldn't be leaving the shop tonight and I do so want to see what you have planned. You are going to need to get dressed.

>3:10pm
Noted. See you soon, love.

"I'll just do this later," she said as she moved past the books and over to the counter where a small gift box lay. She had put the gift that she had for Bella in the box which was meant to be a Christmas gift but could double as her birthday present since she only found out about the date last night. It wasn't much but she hoped Bella would appreciate the sentiment and vulnerability of the gift she had wrapped for her.

She heard shuffling come up from the lower level and Henry appeared at the top of the stairs. "Ready for your date, sunshine?" She smiled at his granddaughter warmly.

"Papa, I almost forgot you were down there," she put her arms around his waist hugging him when he came closer to her. "And yes. Bella will be here pretty soon."

"Is that my cue to clear out of here?" He chuckled at Hermione and pointed to the box. "What did you get her? A book I presume."

"Well," she chewed her lip, "I didn't know what to get her so take a look."

Henry reached around Hermione and opened the lid to the box, peering inside and pulled back with a big smile. "You must really fancy her, sunshine." He smiled knowingly.