Chapter 10: The Invisible Chains

Sheira's POV

I made my way to the commander's room, my footsteps echoing in the corridor, and knocked before entering.

The commander, deep in thought, gazed out the window. Like Eamon, he seemed absorbed in contemplating the unfolding crisis.

"Sorry for bothering you," I announced as I stepped into the room.

"Sheira, you're here," he acknowledged.

"Yes, commander."

"How's your rest? You good?" he inquired.

"Yes, thanks for your concern," I expressed gratitude.

"That's what a commander should do. I heard about Aria, Blair, Cara-"

Upon hearing those names, the weight of loss overwhelmed me, and I crumpled to the floor. Grief spilled forth in a torrent of tears.

"Sorry for reminding you about that. You okay?" the commander, bewildered, unsure how to respond.

Slowly standing, I wiped tears from my face. "I'm okay, sir. Sorry," I sniffled, still drying my tears.

"You can have some rest now, you really need it," he offered.

"Thanks, commander. I will take my leave."

I turned and left the room, the commander continuing to stare out the window. Like Eamon, both tirelessly worked on, even after the draining expedition.

I should take some rest now, I feel tired physically and mentally. I should try to let go, that way, I will be able to go forward.

I retraced my steps home, attempting to gather the fragments of composure.

Opening the door, I stepped into my house, found a figure standing at the entrance, a welcoming presence.

"Welcome home, Sheira. You must be tired after all the hard work," Yuri greeted.

"Thanks, Yuri. I'll go straight to bed," I replied.

He nodded and inquired, "Skipping dinner?"

"Yeah, I don't have the appetite right now. Good night, Yuri."

"Night. Feel free to share your thoughts with me, okay? I'm all ears," Yuri offered.

I nodded, entered my room and collapsed onto the bed. My body felt like a weighty sack of cement, barely movable. I just wanted to relax. Closing my eyes, thoughts of Aria, Blair, and Cara flooded in. I didn't complete the thought, drifting into a deep, dreamless sleep.

***

My eyes opened as the first rays of sunlight lit up my room. The dawn chorus of melodic birdsong drifted in. The just-risen sun shone softly on the floor. I rubbed my bleary eyes and walked to the window. There was a pearly glow in the sky. The rising sun cast a rosy hue across the morning sky. Golden fingers of sunlight lit up the scene. But in reality, it's dark, there's nothing such as light. What was that earlier? I scratched my head in confusion.

"New day," I mumbled, stretching my back.

I walked outside my room and I saw Yuri making breakfast. We have bread for breakfast and I feel that something is missing. Breakfast without a cup of tea feels imperfect. I started pouring the tea I made into each of our cups.

I immediately sat down on my chair and started eating together with Yuri.

The tea was so hot it blistered my tongue. I ate the tasteless bread as I continued to sip my cup of tea.

"Thanks for the food!"

After having breakfast, I washed the dishes while Yuri was getting ready to go out to do his duty.