Chapter 18: Despair and Hope

***

Eamon's POV

"Please, before you end my life here, I have only one thing I want you to do."

With all the energy he had left, he leaned his back against a massive stone and reached out to grasp my right hand, holding it tightly while drawing me close to him. His eyes were dead serious, but I could sense the intense anguish there. Speaking softly, he said...

"Please protect her for me, and take good care of her."

I agreed immediately without hesitation, inheriting this task from a great man, protecting his one and only lovely little girl, a lofty dream shared by all fathers, but sadly, he lost it.

"I will, you can rest assured," I sobbed.

"Please protect her." Tears were streaming down his face as he slowly closed his eyes. His grip slowly loosened only to know that he was running out of time, and surrendered everything.

"A beautiful thing is never perfect, but still. It is beautiful..."

"Life is beautiful."

I took the dagger next to him and picked it up after releasing his hand gently on the ground while putting my palm in front of my beating heart to offer the hero of ZiYou my final tribute.

My heart feels heavy to do this, I really can't do it! This unpleasant feeling haunted me continuously until I finally picked up the dagger.

"I will, and I promise," I cried.

As I said those words, I felt the tears streaming down my face like a river, and then I stabbed him deep in the stomach.

I cried as I stabbed him with a fifteen-inch dagger. I felt like the stabbing had penetrated my soul as I collapsed to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably for everything I had done.

"There's no turning back now..."

"What have I done...?"

I tried to slowly get up on my knees while staring at my bloody hand in terror, but it was too painful. The guilt left my heart pounding until all I felt was numbness.

I was left there with sorrow.
pain.
guilt.
And fear.

***

Suddenly, the landscape changed, and I found myself standing in a serene area surrounded by water. This place is endless and I have never been here before. This quiet was soon broken by the sudden appearance of a massive old tree not too far away.

I walked towards it with caution as I reached out to the tree.

"EAMON!"

Suddenly someone shouts out of nowhere and before I realize it, multiple scenes are played in my head.

"You killed him!"
"Traitor!"
"Murderer!"

I felt heavy on my right hand, I looked up to it and saw myself holding a dagger covered in blood.

"No!"
"Stop!"
"Make it stop!"
"Please! Someone..."
"Save me," I cried.

I'm lost.

I have no idea what was happening that day, but I can't seem to get those memories out of my head, so I continue to live my life with them. The scar still bothers me, and I continue to hold myself responsible for my actions.

That day, I realized that I was not free in the first place. I am attached to and controlled by something. Everyone is not free, no one. There is always something holding them back. Up until now, I haven't discovered that 'something I am attached to'. I must find it in order to set myself free.