Chapter 13: The Rat's Revelation

Sheira's POV

Before the mission, Yuri gave us something important.

***

"Take this," Yuri handed out a piece of paper.

He has something else to show us after giving us the letter. Although it was a sloppy picture of a person, we could clearly see his face. I've never seen this man before, and the king must have a reason for showing us a photo of this person. The man in the photograph appears to be relatively elderly and has a nice friendly-looking face.

I pondered, "This is..."

"This is a photograph of His Majesty's closest personal servant, according to what the King told me previously. You should seek him out in order to obtain a lot of information on the problem," Yuri explained.

"I see, this man is better to be alive," I remarked.

"You should hurry up or things might get worse," Yuri urged, concerned with the situation.

"Eamon and I will handle this problem as fast as we can," I asserted.

"Good to hear."

Yuri gave me a smile before I set foot, leaving that place and starting to focus on the mission to save the King. Not only the King but also the whole kingdom is in our hands right now, we should carry out this mission carefully. Just as I was about to leave Yuri, he suddenly said something in a calm voice.

"Please be safe, Sheira. While guarding the Kingdom, I'll be waiting for your return," he conveyed.

"Thank you, Yuri. I'll be back as soon as possible!" I assured.

Yuri smiled again and moved closer to offer me a nice hug. A hug from a parent? After about half a minute, he took his hand away from me and turned to face Eamon with a worrisome expression.

"Please look after Sheira, Eamon. She holds a special place in my heart."

Eamon gave me a flat expression as he nodded in agreement with Yuri's favor. He then went away from us and stood in the corner, alone, contemplating the mission. His face, on the other hand, appears to be genuinely considering it.

"You should leave right now. The kingdom is waiting for you. The sake of this kingdom is in your hand and Eamon's. We are counting on you, all of us," Yuri urged.

"I will, I will save the kingdom and its people. Please wait for me!"

There he is, smiling at me once more. Always bringing a smile to one's face.

Eamon appears to be waiting for me to leave and begin this important mission. He was the one that took off first, and I was right following him.

I returned my gaze to Yuri and waved goodbye for the time being. It's possible that solving this problem might take some time.

***

Eamon's POV

That man sounds...familiar.

Sheira's POV

"What's wrong, Eamon? Are you all right?"

Eamon's soul returned to his body instantly after I asked him that question. He seemed to be deep in thought. So, I'm not the only one who daydreams...

He then shifted his attention to the objective at hand, peeking and listening in on the two people within the room's dialogue. After a few minutes, Eamon tapped my shoulder, as if he had realized something.

"Sheira," he whispered softly in my ear.

"What is it?" I respond in hushed tones, making sure our voices are low enough that they aren't aware of our presence.

"Don't you think that man looked familiar? The one with a stupid mustache on his face," he whispered.

"Once you've mentioned it. He did look familiar to me, you're right," I agreed.

"Give me the picture Yuri gave us earlier," He asked.

"Right, the picture."

While keeping an eye on the room, I handed the picture to Eamon. Suddenly, one of the men pulled out a dagger, about six inches long, and stabbed the mustache man we had been discussing.

Witnessing the shocking scene, I was about to scream, but Eamon quickly covered my mouth to keep me silent and avoid drawing attention. My eyes widened in disbelief. Weren't they supposed to be working together? They seemed like friends at first glance.

The killer proceeded to drag the body into an old wooden wardrobe and closed the door. Eamon firmly grabbed my right hand and silently guided me out of the room before I had a chance to fully process what had just occurred. We continued walking in silence as he kept a watchful eye on our surroundings.

We managed to safely leave the area and find a room in a secluded corner of the building. Eamon closed and locked the door from the inside, releasing his hold on my hand.

He let out a sigh and took a seat, folding his arms and staring at me with a serious expression. "We need a plan," he said, his gaze unwavering.

I realized that we were now in a different situation with a new objective. Our goal was still to protect the King, but we might have to approach it differently.

"Earlier, we overheard the man with the mustache mention some important information," Eamon began.

"That's true. So, what's our game plan? Have you thought of one?" I questioned, still shocked by the scene.

He remained motionless, placing both hands on the table and maintaining a solemn demeanor.

"Let's refer to the man with the mustache as 'the rat'."

"The rat? Seriously? The rat?" I mocked.

"I just came up with it," he added.

I should say he wasn't the best at giving nicknames.

"Now that the rat is the King's loyal servant, he might have valuable information about this problem. Whatever he was discussing beyond that wall could be crucial for us."

He continued, "The King wanted us to meet with this 'rat' and inquire about the matter. Perhaps the King wanted us to learn about the 'hidden door' from the 'rat'. If the King had mentioned the hidden door in the letter he sent, someone might have intercepted it and discovered his plan, making it harder for us to uncover the truth. The King had considered all of this to ensure that our one and only chance wouldn't be wasted."

"We should search for the hidden door and enter it. With guards patrolling the castle grounds, it would be challenging to thoroughly inspect every wall inside," He added.

"What do you suggest then?" I asked.

"My father used to work in the castle. I'm quite familiar with this place."

As I leaned against the wall to take a brief rest, Eamon continued discussing the plan. Suddenly, the wall began to give way under the pressure of my body, pushing inward.

Unaware of my distraction, Eamon turned towards me, seeing me leaning against the wall and inadvertently triggering something. Surprised by the unexpected turn of events, he quickly stood up and approached me.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Sheira?" he asked.

"It's... a hidden door."

To be continued...