Chapter 11: Cloaked Intrigue

Eamon's POV

"The c-castle?" Sheira questioned.

"Yes. What's wrong with that?"

"It's impossible! How can the King do something like that?!" she exclaimed.

"Who said it's the King?!"

"Then why should we check the castle?"

"Have you forgotten?" I sighed. "Recall the King's words. With the badge we possess, we have the freedom to explore any part of this kingdom, including the castle. It's possible that the culprit is someone from within the castle itself."

"The King has granted us this badge, allowing us to go anywhere. As members of the military, we already have access to all areas. So, there's no need for the King to give us this badge," I added.

"The King has planned this carefully. He gave us this badge without specifying the reason in the letter. If the culprit were to read this letter, they could easily devise a plan and act accordingly."

"You have a point. I hadn't considered that," She realized, scratching her head.

"If the King is suggesting we also investigate the castle, he must have discovered something about the case," I said.

"We need to get to the castle quickly. The King could be in danger." She continued, "We should leave immediately, then!"

I nodded, "Let's move."

Why didn't I realize this sooner? Tsk. The King has been waiting for days. We need to make haste and get to the castle. I hope he's alright.

Sheira's POV

We both hurried towards the castle gate, ready to delve deeper into our investigation. Please, let him be safe!

***

"We've arrived. Let's go," Eamon uttered.

I trailed closely behind him, alert for any potential threats. An attack could come at any moment.

As we sprinted towards the castle's main entrance, a shout echoed from behind us.

"HALT!"

What? Who- the guards?!

At the sound of the command, Eamon and I froze in our tracks.

"We have permission!" Eamon shouted back, brandishing the badge bestowed upon us by the King.

An eerie silence fell over the scene.

Suddenly, more guards rushed towards us, forming a threatening circle around us. Are they serious? Are they going to engage us in combat?

Judging by their expressions, they seemed ready to strike at any moment.

They should let us pass with this badge! Eamon stood protectively in front of me as the guards began to unsheathe their swords.

Are they really doing this?!

Eamon remains in place, his right hand poised to draw his sword.

"What's our move, Eamon?" I asked.

"This is strange. We need to think quickly. What's the best course of action," He replied.

"We should engage them! The King himself ordered us to enter the castle, didn't he?" I offered an idea.

"We can't."

"Why not?" I questioned, confused.

"We can't cause a scene here. If the citizens see us fighting the guards, it will lead to more problems," he responded.