Chapter 23 - Reopening Night Mayhem

Music blared throughout the building. The whole bar was filled with drunkards clumsily dancing and swaying along to the vibration of the live band. Endless lines of tipsy customers lined up at the bar, eagerly awaiting their drinks.

'Neon Nights', the bar Adelina worked at, had been refurbished during her month of recovery. What used to be rows of dated, light wood furniture was now replaced with white modern furniture. The walls were painted jet black and with the new addition of countless LED and strobe lights, the small local bar now felt like a thriving nightclub.

It was now the grand reopening of the bar and it seemed that everyone in Beacon Hills had made their way over. Even multiple students had attended and some had managed to sneak a beverage or two.

"She's starting!" Allison squealed, her pitch higher than normal. Everyone looked over to the newly decorated stage and their eyes stared in awe at Adelina. This time, she wasn't alone when she sung. Nick, the bartender/server that has always been around Adelina joined her.

Before they went on stage, Adelina was telling everyone about the song. It was an original that Nick and her had wrote together when she first started working at the bar and she couldn't wait to show them. As soon as they began singing, everyone was intently listening. Despite the song having a slower pace compared to the previous upbeat techno music, people couldn't help but be infatuated by it, swaying to the beat with their arms linked over each others shoulders.

Derek watched the whole performance and once again he found himself impressed, even by Nick, who he'd never been able to imagine singing. However he had noticed that the two had extremely good chemistry on stage, the way they harmonised perfectly, how their smiles would reach to their eyes and they looked so free. He couldn't hide the nagging feeling of jealousy he felt. When it came to her, he was selfish and over protective. Despite the knot forming in his chest, he enjoyed every second of the performance. Adelina had a way of captivating everyone, especially when she sung.

(Song at the top, hope you like it. I heard it and just had to share it :) )

When they finished, he noticed the way her skin glowed. She was happy. The sound of the entire bar cheering and clapping completely filled the space.

Derek was leaning against the bar as Adelina came sauntering over to him, a proud grin on her face. She walked past the others who congratulated and complimented her before turning deeper into the bar to enjoy the night.

Finally standing in front of him, her hands tapped rhythmically on the pristine white bar top, "So?" Her pitch was high, excited and expectant.

He shook his head, a wide smile appearing on his face as he eyed her proudly, "It was good, really good."

"Yes!" She squealed as she thrust her fist into the air causing him to chuckle. She reached for her glass and he watched as it raised to her lips. Gently, they pressed onto the rim of the glass and she sipped the golden liquid. It was almost impossible for him to look at anything but her soft, shiny lips.

Stepping closer, he leaned toward her, his chest only inches from her shoulder. The glass in her hands landed on the counter with a light thud, barely audible over the now raging music. "You and Nick are close?" His breath fanned the top of her ear. He didn't want to be that overly jealous guy but he still found himself asking, just in case there was history between the two.

Nodding in response, she picked the glass up again, taking another sip. "Does he like you?"

At his words, she snorted and instantly started choking on her drink. The liquid had began sputtering from her mouth as she coughed harshly and leaned on the bar, her hand lightly tapping her chest.