Chapter 33 - The Alpha

What was really mere seconds felt like centuries as the two stared into those glowing eyes. They were dark and savage. A primal instinct to maim and kill glinting in the crimson orbs. They just stared, hungrily and savagely.

Their whole bodies were flooded with fear as they violently trembled. The breath was caught in their throats, not allowing them to breathe as they almost choked on their silent sobs.

Staring at them was the very thing that they quickly learned to fear: the Alpha. And a sight it was. Only seeing its eyes and shadowed outline was enough to rattle their very cores and instill them with a tremendous amount of fear.

The Alpha suddenly lunged forward, the window shattering and the wall around it bursting into a thousand pieces. A piercing scream escaped Adelinas lips as Leo's arms wrapped around her and forced them both down to the ground. The broken glass exploded and scattered around the floor along with pieces of dry wall. The Alpha was a giant blur of black as it skidded across the room, its large razor like claws scratching against the wooden floor.

Through her tear soaked eyes, her vision was blurred, making the alpha seem like an abnormal mass of black, with two monstrous scarlet eyes. There was a certain beauty in them, the way they were illuminated in a deep red. A beauty that was undoubtedly dangerous.

It's head suddenly snapped in their direction. It's horrible eyes glaring hungrily like a starved animal staring down its latest meal. Slowly it raised its burly paw and reached outwards. The beast began painstakingly inching toward them. Stalking them as it drew near.

A satisfied growl vibrated from the monstrous figure, pleased by the flooding of fear emanating from the two.

With uncontrollably trembling hands, Leo raised his arms, taking slow cautious steps away from Adelina so that he was stood a few feet infront of the Alpha. "I-its me you w-want. So just- leave her a-alone." His voice was a quivering mess. The alarm and panic within him clear.

Adelina was mortified. She didnt want this. She didnt want Leo to try and protect her and she certainly didn't want to watch him torn to pieces infront of her.

The Alpha never once tore its eyes from Leo. It never spared Adelina so much as one glance. She was sure that the creature hadn't even seen her properly, yet it was aware of her presence. It just stared for a few seconds, the same primal hunger radiating from its eyes, before it lunged forward. Its great paw raised and its razor like claws glinting in the dim room.

Whether it was bravery or stupidity, Adelina rushed to her feet, throwing herself infront of Leo's cowering form. The adrenaline was fueling her every move as she stood defiantly, her head held high and her eyes set in a hard glare as she waited for the painfull blow. All she wanted was to protect the trembling boy behind her, even if it meant that she could die in the process.

Yet her sudden burst of confidence quickly diminished as the alpha stopped directly infront of her, its enormous paw hovering just above her right cheek. It was now that she was finally able to get a proper look at the beast. It was an enormous creature, rivalling the size of an SUV. The skin was a deep slate colour, faded and dull. Random pieces of matted wiry fur poked out in uneven patches all along its back, legs and face. Each claw curled meticulously and was easily the same size as her hand. They were long and haggard, the amount of damage caused by them would be tremendous.

It was a great beast of a creature, with its hind legs twisting and contorting in all manners of horrifying unnaturallness. With its face only inches from hers, its hot foul smelling breath pricked at her skin, sending goosebumps throughout her entire body. The beasts mouth slowly upturned into a sadistic grin, its giant canines piercing over its lip, vicious and ready to sink into the closest victim.

Yet no such action came. The monster just stared down at her with its sinister grin. The crimson orbs bore into hers and she found herself unable to look away. It was like being face to face with death itself. Yes, she was deathly terrified, but some part of her, some tiny molecular inkling in her brain felt a sense of familiarity and comfort from the devilish beast.

With a toothy snarl, it reared its head backwards and charged out the crumbled wall from where it came. And for moments after that, she just stood there, her chest heaving up and down as her breathing calmed. The Alpha just left?

What was that? She was nowhere near as scared as she should've been. And what was with that strange feeling she got from the horrid creature?

It was only when a broken sob and haggard breaths sounded from behind her that she was torn from her thoughts. Spinning on her heels, her heart broke at the sight of the young boy curled up on the floor. Streams of tears poured uncontrollably down his cheeks. His eyes were swollen and red, completely glossed over. And every inch of his body trembled in pure unbridled terror.

Swiftly crouching down, she pulled him to her chest as she began soothingly whispering into his hair. His hands hand bundled themselves into her shirt as he held onto her for dear life. Her own hands had taken to comfortingly rubbing circles on his back and head. A wetness began to soak her shirt as he continued to cry, his body violently jolting with each strangled sob.

"I-im sorry. This is all- all my fault. I n-never should've-" Each word he spoke came out hoarse and croaked. It was completely broken and that broke her.

Gently pulling away from him, she forced him to look at her, her hands holding either side of his face. With a soft yet confident voice she spoke, "Hey, look at me! You didn't do this, okay? None of this is your fault. We are okay and we're gonna keep being okay. I won't let anything happen to you, okay? I promise. I promise." Pulling him back into her, she muttered those last words again and again.

Whether she was trying to convince him or herself, she couldn't tell. She knew that if the Alpha came after him again, there would be an absolutely tiny possibility that he would just leave them unharmed like this time. She didnt even have time to think over why the Alpha suddenly didn't want to attack her when it was ready to tear Leo to shreds as she began to rock the young boy back and forth, soothingly.

Things were starting to get strange again in Beacon Hills.