Chapter 25 - The Chase

As the scent filled his nostrils, Scott's eyes darted around the scene. There was definitely another werewolf here, it was unmistakable. But where? As his eyes found his way to the corner of a building down the alleyway, a dark figure came into view. It was peering around the corner.

Scott had started cautiously but quickly moving toward it, the stench of another werewolf growing stronger. When the figure noticed Scott, it took off in a sprint down the darkness of the alleyway. Ignoring the questioning calls from behind him, Scott too began darting into the darkness. His legs moved quicker than he had ever felt them go before. If they went any faster, he was sure steam would begin to trail him.

The figure abruptly turned a corner. Scott followed, gradually getting closer to the figure. He noticed their head snap back to him, but it was too dark to make any facial features.

Picking the pace up, Scott found himself right behind the person. His hand reached out before clasping onto the figures hood and yanking them both backwards. The sudden motion caused them both to tumble down to the ground with the werewolf dropping harshly beside Scott.

Scott felt himself fueled with adrenaline. The person responsible for the murder of someone was now only inches from him and he felt almost victorious.

As the person began to scramble to their feet, Scott harshly pulled on their arm before standing over them, trapping them underneath him. His eyes glowed a deep red as his sharp fangs protruded from behind his lips. He let out an almighty growl, feeling it vibrate from within him before rumbling out into the night.

The figure whimpered from underneath him, his eyed flashing a quick golden hue before returning to a light icy blue. The two of them gasped and panted for air as their chests consistently rose and fell.

It was only when Scott's eyes examined the figures features that his feeling of victory quickly faded. It was a young boy with short brown hair that was wet and shiny from sweat. His icy blue eyes stared up at Scott in fear as his pink lips quivered. He had a round face and smooth, youthful skin. The boy couldn't be older than 15. Scott's stomach churned at the thought of someone so young being involved in something so twisted.

But before he could do anything, two hands wrapped around his shoulders and forced him away from the young boy. Scott's back connected harshly with a brick wall behind him. A pained groan sounded from him as he looked up to see the young boy being hauled to his feet by another figure. This one was completely dressed in black with the hood of their jacket pulled up, covering their face. The two of them quickly disappeared over a wall as Scott was able to lift himself to his hands and knees. This other person was definitely a werewolf too. They were too strong to be human and had a familiar scent.

The patter of running sounded to his left as Stiles' worried voice shouted out to him, "Scott! Scott what happened?!" Reaching his friend, Stiles immediately grabbed his arm as he supported Scott to his feet.

"Dude what the hell happened? You just took off and then I see you thrown against a wall." Stiles' voice was laced with concern as he looked over his friend, making sure he wasn't injured.

Scott could feel the pain in his back quickly begin to fade, signalling that he was healing. With a grunt he stood up straight before turning to face Stiles, "There was another werewolf. Two of them. The first one that I was chasing was just a kid and he looked terrified."

"And what about the second one?"

"Definitely older. But there's something about that other one..." Scott's voice began trail off as he eyed the wall the two werewolves had jumped over.

"Like what? Was it the alpha?" Stiles exclaimed as his eyes widened in a mixture of fear and shock.

Scott immediately shook his head, "No, no. Its not the alpha. But whoever it was had a familiar scent. Its like I've been near them before but I don't remember who it was."

"Well we'll figure it out. We always do." Stiles pat Scott's shoulder before walking back the way he came through the darkness of the alleyway, "Come on. We gotta get back. My dad's already freaking out thinking that we're being watched by hunters. We dont need to worry him even more."

"Yeah. Yeah, okay." Scott said absentmindedly as his eyes lingered on the wall for a second longer before turning back to follow Stiles.

He found himself sneaking glances back at that wall. Just who was that werewolf and why did it smell like he knew them?

It was becoming frustrating that he couldn't figure out why that werewolf smelled so familiar. One thing he knew was that things were starting to get worse around Beacon Hills. The body's used to only show up in the woods or non residential areas. Now they are showing up in public places for everyone to see. He feared that if things continued to get worse, that the supernatural would no longer be a secret. This would put everyone that he cared about in danger and he couldn't have that. Scott was determined to figure out what had caused this horrible conflict between this new werewolf pack and these hunters before things really did turn into a war.

He also couldn't help but let his mind wonder to the young werewolf he had chased and tackled. The boy seemed frightened. But Scott couldn't decide if he was scared of him, or something else.